Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Do I need a dummy round to practice dry firing my rimfire 22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
I dry fire all center-fire guns; shotguns, rifles, etc. I believe in releasing the spring tension. I NEVER dry fire a .22 for the above stated reasons... .
While some guns are designed to be dry fired (Glock models for one) I have seen firing pins broken due to the shock of the pin hitting something other
than the primer. I ALWAYS use snap caps unless I know specifically the
gun was made to be dry fired. even then it bothers me..........

Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Ruger 10/22's are ok to dry fire.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drriley View Post
While some guns are designed to be dry fired (Glock models for one) I have seen firing pins broken due to the shock of the pin hitting something other
than the primer. I ALWAYS use snap caps unless I know specifically the
gun was made to be dry fired. even then it bothers me..........
It would seem to me that the firing pin on a center fire rifle wouldn't be hitting anything, same as a shotgun. I believe you might mean that on the rear of the pin it might hit part of the bolt that the pin rides in.. Either case, to each his own.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Jay

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
It would seem to me that the firing pin on a center fire rifle wouldn't be hitting anything, same as a shotgun. I believe you might mean that on the rear of the pin it might hit part of the bolt that the pin rides in.. Either case, to each his own.
Every firing pin I've ever seen has some sort of a mechanical stop to prevent the pin from just flying out of the bolt/slide when the hammer hits it. When that firing pin comes to a stop, it's designed to stop on the primer of a cartridge. The mechanical stop is NOT (in my opinion) designed to act as a dry-fire impact area. It's just my simple opinion that if you keep hammering the mechanical stop by dry firing, either the firing pin, or the stop will break. For the relatively low price of snap caps vs. 'smith work, or a new firing pin....... well, you get the idea....

Everyone has their own opinion, and that's mine....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

So I guess that 20 to 30 hours of dryfire practice I did in the military ruined my M-16? Never seen any adverse side affects of dry firing any center fire pistol or rifle.

The Dime on the barrel is the best way to master a smooth even trigger pull in my mind.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Jay

Might be the reason the Army tech manual calls for inspection of the firing pin retaining pin, before re-assembling the bolt carrier group. I wonder (respectfully) how that retaining pin might get damaged?

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Might be the reason the Army tech manual calls for inspection of the firing pin retaining pin, before re-assembling the bolt carrier group. I wonder (respectfully) how that retaining pin might get damaged?
So you never ever inspect parts on a firearm when you are cleaning? Plus I'm sure the usmc manual tells you to inspect the firing pin and other parts.

Is it a good idea to use snapcaps when dry firing any firearm sure we are just saying it is not a 100% must have for centerfires. I never ever dry fire a rimfire.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Jay

Well, some rimfires are designed to be dry-fired as a course of re-assembly.... The Ruger Mk II series, for example. My point is simply that if you pound on a piece of metal long enough, you're gonna damage it. Just like I'm gonna die one of these days, but that doesn't mean I should run out and play on the interstate.

Sure, I inspect the pin, but most likely damage to it, is gonna come from dry-firing. Lots of things have happened in the world of firearms, that I haven't seen. Obviously, other folks have seen lots more.

Carry on as you see fit, sir ... that's what opinions are all about.

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 03-27-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If memory doesn't quit me, we inspected that pin to be sure the pin was put in the right way. If you put it in from the opposite way, the bolt would jam?? Anyways, your explanation about dry-fire seemed sound. I believe I said as much when I spoke about the firing pin hitting the back of the bolt, but I didn't get it in the same words as you did. Thanks for the clarification....

Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
Jay

I'm not saying that any centerfire will be damaged with the first dry-fire, and I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all. But after 20 years as a tool maker, I know for a fact, that if you beat two pieces of metal together long enough, one of 'em will break, or sustain damage. It's not rocket science.... but it's definitely a personal preference. My preference is not to dry fire without a snap cap, or something to absorb the firing pin impact. Suit yerselves.

.22hustler, there is no countersink on the right side of the bolt carrier group ( in my rifles ) to receive the looped end of the firing pin retaining pin. Insertion of the retaining pin from the right side will not allow assembly of my rifles. At least not a Marine Corps rifle....

Respects....

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 03-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.