Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Disposal of unfired crap ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2529 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Default Disposal of unfired crap ammo

I have some old Russian (Junior is the brand name IIRC) steel case .22 standard velocity ammo that is very frustrating. My Kimber 82 nor my Ruger MK3 will fire more than 3-4 rounds without the cases sticking and being a real bastich to remove. I was just going to get rid of it and I then realized that it might not be terribly smart to just dump it with the regular trash. Opinions, advice? I have approx a brick of it.
My cousin is probably not too happy, I sold him 11 bricks of the stuff...long story.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Take it to your local police or fire department.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Just bury it. There is no need to bother police with it.

Me I would use toss it in to the river. That little bit of lead will not harm a thing. The steel case will rust in a few years and then they are gone.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have another approach. Put it aside for last ditch, emergency stash. Someday you may look back on tossing it, and regret it.

The Russian stuff is very accurate, albeit very waxy. I have some guns that fire it with 100% reliability, and others that work about like yours.

At the very least it will qualify as "ballistic wampum" at some point down the road.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #5

Gotta agree with M14,ya never know when it'll come in handy.
I run the unreliable stuff I come across(my fav.LGS likes to give me a couple boxes of thunder-duds whenever I buy a 22)through my Marlin model 80 bolt action,it rarely complains and I get to shoot up ammo that any of my semis would turn their noses up at.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
Gotta agree with M14,ya never know when it'll come in handy.
I run the unreliable stuff I come across(my fav.LGS likes to give me a couple boxes of thunder-duds whenever I buy a 22)through my Marlin model 80 bolt action,it rarely complains and I get to shoot up ammo that any of my semis would turn their noses up at.
My Marlin 880 (Squirrel Gun) was the one that ate the Russian 100%. Traded it for my T/C Classic, though.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I haven't fired enough of it to determine whether it's dud ridden. The 3 to 4 shot groups seem decent, then I get to spend several minutes trying to remove a stuck case. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them from sticking? When I can't get them to extract properly from a bolt action, there is a problem
In the MKIII, I had to have one of the range officers hunt down a cleaning rod to get it out, all while everyone was waiting for the line to be called safe. Not cool.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are chemicals to remove wax but really not sure how you could use them without effecting the round itself. Is it all like that ?

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
There are chemicals to remove wax but really not sure how you could use them without effecting the round itself. Is it all like that ?
It's only a brick. I have yet to shoot one whole box of 50. When handled, it doesn't appear to have excessive wax on the bullets, the cases appear to be fine, no apparent residue, no corrosion.
NOTE: The guns are not the problem, the Kimber has been in the family since my dad bought it new in 82 or 83 & the Ruger has maybe 100rds (purchased new a month ago) through it. They both have no issues with CCI MiniMags or Blazers.
Maybe I'll just toss the stuff in an ammo can and store it for posterity.
NRA Life Member

Milton Friedman

Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1683 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Store the ammo in a nice cool and dry place. You never when the need will arise, when that happen will come in handy!