deleading a .22 barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > deleading a .22 barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default deleading a .22 barrel

I have a winchester Model 1906 which is in excellent mechanical condition with about 80% of the original blue. Serial number indicates that it was manfactured in late 1915. The only issue I have with the rifle is that it appears to have a severely leaded barrel from roughly 60 years of use with old soft lead bullets. I can just barely see the rifling and I cannot believe that considering the condition of the rifle that it had been shot enough to wear the barrel out, so I believe it is just packed with old lead which I want to remove. I'm not real excited about the Outers Foul Out idea of reverse electrolysis and chemical removal with bronze brush scrubbing up to this point has been unsuccessful. I was curious if heating the barrel to the roughly 620 degrees necessary to melt the lead would alter the barrel tempering or cause some other irreversable problem. If it is safe to heat to that temp which would be a preferred method? I would think that a torch would adversely affect the bluing, but am not 100% certain of that. In conjunction with that, I have disassembled the rifle, but have not removed the barrel from the receiver. Any suggestion on the easy way to accomplish that? Thanx.....

Last edited by OldSarge1; 09-23-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have never seen a .22 rimfire with lead in the barrel. I`m sure it`s possible though. I would recomand that you try a brass brisseled brush. It may not remove all of the lead, if it is lead, but you should get enough lead out of it to make sure it is lead. If you do not want to use chemicals a brush and JB bore past is about all that is left.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSarge1 View Post
I have a winchester Model 1906 which is in excellent mechanical condition with about 80% of the original blue. Serial number indicates that it was manfactured in late 1915. The only issue I have with the rifle is that it appears to have a severely leaded barrel from roughly 60 years of use with old soft lead bullets. I can just barely see the rifling and I cannot believe that considering the condition of the rifle that it had been shot enough to wear the barrel out, so I believe it is just packed with old lead which I want to remove. I'm not real excited about the Outers Foul Out idea of reverse electrolysis and chemical removal up to this point has been unsuccessful. I was curious if heating the barrel to the roughly 620 degrees necessary to melt the lead would alter the barrel tempering or cause some other irreversable problem. If it is safe to heat to that temp which would be a preferred method? I would think that a torch would adversely affect the bluing, but am not 100% certain of that. In conjunction with that, I have disassembled the rifle, but have not removed the barrel from the receiver. Any suggestion on the easy way to accomplish that? Thanx.....
I have a friend who had a 1906 also and the bore looked very bad. What you may have is the result of rust in the barrel. Some of the early .22 RF ammo had black powder as a propellent. I believe early Remington "Lessmoke" had something like a mix with some black powder, may be wrong on that. A lot of those 1906 rifles were used as gallery rifles at carnivals and shooting galeries and if they saw a cleaning every 5 years they were lucky. Result, no cleaning, salt in the barrel from the P.Nitrate in the powder and you got serious rust.

My buddies 1906 barrel looked like a 100 year old iron water pipe. We sent the rifle off and had it relined at a cost of about $145. Those 1906's are a smooth action and his now looks original but shoots probably better then when it was new.

Anyway, run some bore solvent on a brass brush and give it a bunch of strokes and let it set for 20 minutes or by the solvent directions. Bursh it again and then run several dry patches through it. Look at the patches as they come out of the barrel and if it is leading you will see lead flakes on the patch. Once dry look down the barrel and it is pretty east to tell if it is a lead build up or pits in the barrel. My guess is you have pits. If it does look like leading get a .177 brass brush and wrap a chunck of a COPPER Chor Boy around it so it has a snug fit and scrub the barrel with that. Make sure you do not get a copper plated steel scrubber.

I like the other individual who posted have never seen a .22 RF lead a "good" barrel and to wear out a .22 barrel with soft lead bullets is near impossible. I think many years ago someone took and ran something like 100,000 rounds through a .22 barrel and the rifle shot better at the end then when they started. That may have been the Government Springfield Armory.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Do not heat the barrel to remove the lead. If all of your efforts fail to remove the leading, take it to a gunsmith. I don't recomend this procedure for the average gun owner, as it can be hazardous, but mercury will remove lead in the barrel. I have used this process many times in years past on problematic barrels. I will not describe the process here because of the hazards, but I still use it at times. Any gunsmith worth his salt will know the procedure..

Jim.........................

Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

I agree that I do not want to describe the use of mercury- it was the origin of the term "mad as a hatter"- and can be VERY bad ju-ju.

Instead, suggest you get a can of Kroil. plug the muzzle, stand upright, muzzle down, fill the bore with Kroil, let stand 24 hrs, drain, bronze brush, clean patch.

I swear the stuff can do anything except cure dandruff.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I don't agree with the bronze brush method. I don't use them on rimfires or SS barrels.

That is just me.

Kroil or just soak it in hoppes over night and then patches on a jag till they come out clean.

Many people never clean a rimfire barrel in the life of a gun.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #7

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSarge1 View Post
I'm not real excited about the Outers Foul Out idea of reverse electrolysis and chemical removal with bronze brush scrubbing up to this point has been unsuccessful.
I have never had my Outers Foul Out fail to get every trace of lead or copper out of a bore with proper usage. You do know, they require different solutions - right?
(Cop-out / Lead-out.)

p.s.
Can you even buy mercury any more?

Last edited by Highpower; 09-25-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: post script

Old 09-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #8

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I have never had my Outers Foul Out fail to get every trace of lead or copper out of a bore with proper usage. You do know, they require different solutions - right?
(Cop-out / Lead-out.)

p.s.
Can you even buy mercury any more?
You cannot just go out and buy mercury these days. I still have a sufficient quanity in lock-up. Mercury is very toxic and just one drop spilled can contaminate an entire shop. I do not recomend it's use by anyone other than a profesional trained in the proper handeling of toxic substances.

Jim...................

Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
You cannot just go out and buy mercury these days.
Jim...................
Thanks Jim. That's what I thought, so I wondered why it was even mentioned. I still have a small vial of the stuff, but it is reserved for a set of carb-stix that I have. It doesn't get touched for any other reason. I doubt very many people even have access to it anymore.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

make a solution of 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Plug the end of the barrel and fill the barrel with it. Wait 5-10 min then clean with a bore brush. I shoot cast lead from my glock and this is the easiest way to do it.