Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Daughter wants her own .22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/daughter-wants-her-own-22-a-31109/)

VitSports6 08-30-2010 02:33 PM

Daughter wants her own .22

Hi all.
Ive been pouring over the internet the last few days looking at different .22's I think my brain is about to melt...
Anyhow, My daughter (9 years old) thinks she wants her own .22 rifle, She said "Max(7 years old) has his own and I'm older" So I have been thinking I should look into a somewhat less expensive rifle, Well, The Davey Cricket is running between $125-150 locally, Do any of you have a reason NOT to purchace one? Dont get me wrong I would love to buy her a $300 Henry .22 like her brother, But if its just going to sit around I would rather save a little, I like the idea of a bolt action, But I think a rifle that held more than one bullet at a time would be more beneficial.
Just for a little back ground, My daughter is legally blind so she obviously doesnt need the most acurate rifle made, She is very good with her hands so I dont think the single shot bolt action would give her any issues, I think I have a bigger hang up on that option.
If you have any thoughts please feel free to post up.
Thanks

jetgirl 08-30-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitSports6 (Post 341198)
Hi all.
Ive been pouring over the internet the last few days looking at different .22's I think my brain is about to melt...
Anyhow, My daughter (9 years old) thinks she wants her own .22 rifle, She said "Max(7 years old) has his own and I'm older" So I have been thinking I should look into a somewhat less expensive rifle, Well, The Davey Cricket is running between $125-150 locally, Do any of you have a reason NOT to purchace one? Dont get me wrong I would love to buy her a $300 Henry .22 like her brother, But if its just going to sit around I would rather save a little, I like the idea of a bolt action, But I think a rifle that held more than one bullet at a time would be more beneficial.
Just for a little back ground, My daughter is legally blind so she obviously doesnt need the most acurate rifle made, She is very good with her hands so I dont think the single shot bolt action would give her any issues, I think I have a bigger hang up on that option.
If you have any thoughts please feel free to post up.
Thanks

If you think it will be something that she'll retain interest in, you can probably pick up a Savage MKII for that price range (pre-accutrigger). If not local to you, then on gunbroker or a similar site.
Same functions, but something she won't outgrow size-wise. I picked one up for my daughter a couple years back for around $80 bucks (again, no accutrigger) and it shoots comparable to my CZ 452 that cost considerably more.
Hope that helps...

dunerunner 08-30-2010 06:02 PM

Ruger 10/22. Inexpensive, relatively; with fewer moving parts.

CHLChris 08-30-2010 06:15 PM

Nutnfancy recommends Crickett single-shot .22 rifles for youth, since every shot needs to count and it is a great way to build repetitions for handling ammunition. I'm not sure you know who I'm talking about, but he has a complete video series about training children into responsible gun handling.

Crickett Youth Rifles

They even have one in pink.:)

steve666 08-30-2010 06:30 PM

Bolt action, look at a Mossberg 702 Plinkster for under $200. You can even find one in pink if that's how she rolls.
http://www.frontierfirearms.ca/images/mossberg37030.jpg

amoroque 08-30-2010 07:42 PM

I'd suggest looking into that cricket rifle as well.

orangello 08-30-2010 08:03 PM

My first was a bolt .22, single shot. It was very safe, even with me using it.

Honestly, though, if she has trouble seeing, maybe a paintball gun would be more entertaining. .22's make teeny little holes in things while a paintball hit is a bit larger and easier to see (colorful too). If not, then consider the nicer targets with the "splat" effect.

CHLChris 08-30-2010 08:20 PM

And anytime you can shoot something that goes --plink-- or --tang-- or something is much more satisfying than just punching holes in paper. Even making dirt clods fly is more fun.

VitSports6 08-30-2010 10:43 PM

Thanks for all the input, I have taken my daughter shooting a few times, She liked shooting my sons rifle, But what she really liked was my Sig pistol.
Side note, I took 2 other blind kids shooting last week, They had a blast as well.
Anyone have any idea what this is?

ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Not that I would be getting it, I have seen a few good buy's on that local classified.
Thanks again all.

c3shooter 08-31-2010 12:14 AM

That is a semi auto 22 intended to look like a WW II German MG 34 machinegun.

For your daughter, depending on her size physically, the Cricket may be good- or a used Marlin or Mossberg bolt action- they can be found with box magazines or tube mags. Gives the option of single shot, or multiple as she gets older.

Depending on the exact vision problem, a decent sized scope may help (not one of the dinky little 15mm scopes).