Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > CZ's New 455 vs older 452 - .22 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 236 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default CZ's New 455 vs older 452 - .22 rifle

I'm looking for a high quality bolt action rifle for under $600. CZ has retooled and they are now producing the 455 but there are still plenty of the older model 452s available and they do have an enviable reputation.

Is the new 455 a step forward or back ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's hard to imagine improving on the 452 platform without adding costs.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
It's hard to imagine improving on the 452 platform without adding costs.
One of the reason I almost never buy the first year of any new model. The quality of the wood is usually first up on the chopping block in the name of cost savings. Gunsmiths & armorers who completely disassemble the rifle, will often find the rest...of the story.

Of course, I could be 110 percent wrong and perfection (X<$600) has been achieved by synergies CAD-CAM and of course, the requisite "magic wand." LOL

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
One of the reason I almost never buy the first year of any new model. The quality of the wood is usually first up on the chopping block in the name of cost savings. Gunsmiths & armorers who completely disassemble the rifle, will often find the rest...of the story.

Of course, I could be 110 percent wrong and perfection (X<$600) has been achieved by synergies CAD-CAM and of course, the requisite "magic wand." LOL
Agree. With today's mills and CNC equipment, tolerances are much tighter than even 10 years ago. But even with the tight tolerances, most of the top name custom builders still put in a lot of hand file work to loosen up the tolerances to get that perfect "functional" fit.

I can wait for a year or two to pass on a new model. I'm buying something to keep for a long time, so getting in with the first wave it not a priority.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I admire your patience. My club prohibits jacketed ammo for its indoor range, so the ability to switch from 17 To 22 lead can keep me warm & dry. Wonder if they could switch barrels w the Mannlicher stock as well ?