CZ 452 Trainer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > CZ 452 Trainer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default CZ 452 Trainer

Hello,

I am new to this site but have been around guns my entire life. I have had my CZ 452 trainer for about 8 months and I love it but I never feel like I have been cleaning it properly. Is there a kit out there that is great for this sort of thing. I have a rod right now and it's for a .22 but I feel like I am scratching the barrel every time I clean it so can someone explain a step by step cleaning process. I use a wire brush and then a couple of pieces of cleaning cloth. I'm not looking to disassemble the bolt just take it out and clean the grime. I have seen people using what looks like a thin copper cord and attaching a wipe to it and it seems much better than a rod. The rod I don't like so much because the CZ's tolerances are so tights that the rod barely fits into the barrel(and yes it is the correct caliber)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking into a ruger 22/45 Target. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Below are pictures of the rifle if you're curious.

image-4223254311.jpg   image-4167651411.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Pretty good-looking rifle. I'm sure there are many members here that can adequately answer your question for you.
The reason I am posting is to keep your post on page 1 where others can readily see and answer it. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

CEB 444, I am almost hesitant to reply as there are a more experienced guys on this forum.
But I am a glutton for punishment so here goes :P
I use a cable instead of a rod for cleaning my rifles
this one
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_440351_-1?Ntt=otis+cleaning+kit&Ntk=All
From what I understand, you will cause less damage during cleaning by only running the brush/patches the direction that the bullet travels. I also have a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Mini-14, the receiver on both do not allow for a rod to be inserted from the receiver end.
The bore brush is made of brass, not as hard as your steel barrel. For the brush to do it's job it will be a bit hard to pull through the barrel. Do not allow the brush to stop mid barrel, one long steady pull.
******MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE CORRECT SIZED BARREL BRUSH*****
From there I run a solvent wetted patch through, then dry ones till they come out clean. Repeat the wet dry patches, if the rifle is really dirty.

If the rifle is going to sit up awhile between use, wet a patch in gun oil and make one pass through the barrel.

There is also a thing called a pach worm that is made of plastic (google it) most are homemade out of weed eater line, some can be purchased. As I have the cables already I haven't bothered with it. But it is an inexpensive solution.

Last edited by Commocarl; 07-03-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'll jump in, look up a bore snake. it is a cloth cleaner with a metal weight on one end. then it has copper brush embedded in the snake. one pull from breach to muzzel and you get the majority of the gunk out.

there are several makes and models but i have an otter's brand and love it.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 View Post
I'll jump in, look up a bore snake. it is a cloth cleaner with a metal weight on one end. then it has copper brush embedded in the snake. one pull from breach to muzzel and you get the majority of the gunk out.

there are several makes and models but i have an otter's brand and love it.
Never use a bore snake for cleaning!! They will work in an emergency in the field, that is all. Get an Otis cleaning system. They are all I use. Everything from .17 to 9.3mm(.366). Bore snakes need to be washed after each use. No one ever does. You just keep putting crap back in the bore, and worse the chamber.
http://www.otisgun.com/

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.