Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > customizing my 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default customizing my 10/22

It's finally time to get moving on customizing my 10/22. The barrels and stocks available are pretty straight forward, but after-market trigger assemblies are somewhat a mystery to me. I see plenty of familiar names which in my experience have turned out a good product. My question is, who puts out the best 10/22 trigger group in the $200 range. I'm not trying to put together a competition rifle, just a high quality plinker and varmit gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used all Volquartsen parts to customize my 10-22. They are commonly available at most places that sell 10-22 parts. I've always been very happy with the performance I've received with the Volquartsen parts.

Power Custom and Kidd are another couple of brands that have a lot of good 10-22 options, including triggers.

To improve your trigger try a drop-in Volquartsen Target Hammer kit. They're about $35 and will drop your 6-8 pound factory trigger pull down to around 3-4 pounds with about 15-minutes of easy work. Be sure to re-use all your factory springs for best results.

The VQ Exact Edge Extractor will also be a the best $10 you'll ever spend. While you're at it put in a VQ Automatic Bolt Release Lever, Extended Magazine Release and Bolt Buffer. You can do all this for under $100 and have a much better 10-22 rifle in a very short amount of time.

Best bang for your buck, Green Mountain is the way to go if you want a good bull barrel.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's good information and I'm inclined to go in that direction rather than the drop in assembly. thanks

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
JTJ

Liked 1244 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Stalkingbear on this forum will rework your trigger for a lot less than a new one.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Check out Clark Customs. They can recrown and rechamber your barrel, And send you the parts needed to up grade your own trigger or send your to them with the barrel to have them do a basic trigger job. It will be 2 1/2lbs when done ether way. There reworked barrel alone can decrease group size but up to 50%, After that your are look at aftermarket barrels from clark. GM, Kidd and a large number of comapnies but most don;t sell thin barrels and then your into reworking the stock or replaceing the too. We have a light weight custon hunter that is a clark barrel and trigger group and it will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards. But many of the reworked barrel will go under 1" at 50 yards.Thats a head shoot tree rat every time. And your rifle still looks bone stock.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

the 200$ vq trigger group is exelent but the clark customs parts kit (60.00)is also great just have to remember to let off the trigger a bit and a bit more labor

Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #7

Liked 16783 Times on 9730 Posts
Likes Given: 43815

Brownells carrys a lot of 10/22 parts and accessories. barrels, triggers and parts, stocks and much more. their service and shipping are excellent. another good source is Midway, also excellent service and shipping. good luck with the project.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They have and sell out fast of the Timney Trigger Block. For $160 plus shipping, it's still cheaper that what everyone else sells this assembly for less shipping. It's a real good trigger and you'll wonder why you didn't perform the swap sooner, especially for the nice magazine release. To get the assembly from Cheaper Than Dirt at a good price, you'll just have to constantly check when they have it in stock and be ready to use your credit card to order when they have it in stock.
The change-out is simple and pretty straight forward. If you clean your firearms, you can change the assembly via the included instructions- remove from stock with turns of one screw, tap out two solid roll pins, remove block, place new replacement block, reinstall pins, then reinstall stock.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default 10/22 upgrade

Thanks to all for the valuable information. I have narrowed the choices for all the after market parts and am about to get going on this project. I elected to purchase the Timney trigger group and then I will take the original trigger group and really learn how to perform a quality trigger transformation myself. I have done plenty of them on lots of different firearms and never got around to the 10/22. It really is pretty straight forward and I don't anticipate any real issues, but will return to this forum for some technical advise if I encounter a problem.

The other matter that I didn't refer to in my initial thread is that the finished product will be shot by 5 people encompassing 3 generations, one of which is left handed. This necessitates creating an ambidexterous platform which is really no issue other than each will have to be able to adjust for their own sight picture. This will be fun particularly with the younger ones.

Thanks again for all the input.

Chip

Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #10

Liked 16783 Times on 9730 Posts
Likes Given: 43815

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSarge1 View Post
Thanks to all for the valuable information. I have narrowed the choices for all the after market parts and am about to get going on this project. I elected to purchase the Timney trigger group and then I will take the original trigger group and really learn how to perform a quality trigger transformation myself. I have done plenty of them on lots of different firearms and never got around to the 10/22. It really is pretty straight forward and I don't anticipate any real issues, but will return to this forum for some technical advise if I encounter a problem.

The other matter that I didn't refer to in my initial thread is that the finished product will be shot by 5 people encompassing 3 generations, one of which is left handed. This necessitates creating an ambidexterous platform which is really no issue other than each will have to be able to adjust for their own sight picture. This will be fun particularly with the younger ones.

Thanks again for all the input.

Chip
sarge, don't forget the pictures. we want to see how it comes out. maybe some before and after ones to see the difference. good luck with the rifle.