Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > cracked stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

‘JUST A 22’

In the past 60 years I have put together an eclectic collection of eighteen 22 rifles. I treat them all with the same care and respect as I do my Perazzi, L. C. Smith, Purdy, Holland & Holland, Spencer, Weatherby, Browning or any of the other guns in my collection. Sure I have a hell of a lot more into some of them than they are worth but I have the pride of ownership of a gun I nursed back into good condition. That money can’t buy. It kills me when people look down on the humble 22 as they have taught more people to shoot than any other gun ever built. If it is worth owning it is damn sure worth what ever it takes to make things right by it.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #12

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
‘JUST A 22’

In the past 60 years I have put together an eclectic collection of eighteen 22 rifles. I treat them all with the same care and respect as I do my Perazzi, L. C. Smith, Purdy, Holland & Holland, Spencer, Weatherby, Browning or any of the other guns in my collection. Sure I have a hell of a lot more into some of them than they are worth but I have the pride of ownership of a gun I nursed back into good condition. That money can’t buy. It kills me when people look down on the humble 22 as they have taught more people to shoot than any other gun ever built. If it is worth owning it is damn sure worth what ever it takes to make things right by it.
+1 Walley, gotta love them to keep them.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 11-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #13

i think i will try canebrake's repair, but will cover up the screw with a plug so i can re-stain.

"Guns kill people.
Bull Sh*t!
Guns dont kill people, husbands who come home early kill people. The gun was just sitting there. So if guns kill people, that means I can blame my bad spelling on my pencil."
-Larry the Cable Guy

Old 11-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Canebrake

A long time ago my father told me that a gun is like a wife. If you can’t love the one you have divorce it and go find one that you can.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #15

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip102 View Post
i think i will try canebrake's repair, but will cover up the screw with a plug so i can re-stain.
That was my first thought but there's little real estate to plug the counter sunk screw.

Take some photos and post your repair in the Your Projects section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Canebrake

A long time ago my father told me that a gun is like a wife. If you can’t love the one you have divorce it and go find one that you can.
Spoken to truth!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
It is a 22 for god sakes not a 600 NE.
I took Tango's statement to mean that using the rifle after repair should not be a concern of it coming apart while shooting. If you know Tango like we do, he loves his rimfires especially the older ones. I do not think he was saying it was not worth a restock because it is "just" a 22 rim. That's how I read that, anyhow.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Thank you skull......

I sometimes forget some people don't always standunder what I am saying.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I take loving care of all my guns. Some more than others but they all get the love and affection my wife longs for (JK )

If you repair the stock it will be good to go IF DONE RIGHT. You guys are telling this guy to take it to a gunsmith pay 4 to 5 times what it will cost for him to do all because what you have more money than brains.

If it were something to deal with an advanced gunsmithing job yeah take it to one. But, for a quick simple stock repair that takes some quick clamps, gorilla glue and paint. I would buy a replacement stock and fix the old on. That way I have a nice show off stock and a stock I am not afraid to nick and ding in the end.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My personal preference is to use these:
BROWNELLS : STOCK REPAIR PIN KIT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

No big ol' honkin screw head to deal with.

Wer anderen etwas vorgedacht, wird jahrelang nur ausgelacht.
Begreift man die Entdeckung endlich, so nennt sie jeder selbstverständlich.
-- Wilhelm Busch

Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #20

Default stock repair

all the suggestions are good but the accurglass kit is good to glass bed a gun but it will not run down into the crack, accurglass is stiff, good to glass bed the stock , to repair the stock you need something that will run into the crachs a tooth picks will help it to go into the crack where you want it to go, an tape an wax will help it not stick in the places that you don't want it to stick, if the stock broke from the screew being to tight causing great pressure on the stock over time ,need to fix that problem , after the stock has been repaired ,it would be a good idear to glass bed the around the screw holes so you can tighten them down an not put a lot of force on the stock, lets face it this is a 22 not a high power gun that cost $500 + $$$ they are cheep an made to sell that way an to keep the cost down the stocks are not fit very well, so when you tighten up the screws it is not metal to wood fit it is metal air an wood so to keep it in good working order for many years
it woud be to your advantage to glass BED all the 22 rifles in an around the screws holes from the inside of the stock to take up the air gap that is there, that way we can tighten up the screws an tight as we want, lets face it we all want to keep our play toys in good working order, an just because we are owners we can do very good job on them, if we as a group did not do a good job they would not sell the accurate glass kit's at the local gun stores, the other side of the coine some people should not touch any part of the gun but the out side, you have to make up your mine as to what you can do

MY 2 CTS

SID