Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > consistant .22 LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1089 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Default consistant .22 LR

I took out a couple of .22 rifles this morning for some cheap shooting. The one thing I learned was that the ammo I was shooting is inconsistant.

The Federal in the 550 value pack was the worst. Winchester and Remington was not a lot better. With the Federal, you could even hear the difference in the rounds report. I had more than just a few failures to fire with good solid strikes on the rims.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a .22 lr that is readily available and reasonably consistant.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I've had good luck with the Federal 550 packs. Not in terms of repeatable accuracy but in them loading and firing correctly. The Federal is plinking ammo. When I want to shoot for small groups on paper it is CCI Mini-Mag at the absolute minimum. I have a Savage BV that shoots the Mini-Mags better than anything else I have tried in it.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I only use Federal Gold Medal Match in my 22's. It's not real cheap compared to the other 22 ammo out there but still far less than a larger caliber and dead on with each shot.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

i have always had the best luck with the winchester ammo. but if you want to get a little more expensive ammo try the cci. seems like it shoots good but i cant afford the difference of how much i like to shoot mine..

Old 11-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2565 Times on 1284 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Something with a CCI logo on the box. IMHO, Blazer is the best of the cheap stuff.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #6

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

CCI Mini Mags

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What is your rifle and what kind of scope. Don't except bulk boxs to shoot well. Buy some 50 round boxs from different companies ,well 100 round for some cci and see if you can find some worth while. I don't shoot high velocity much any more. Most rifle will shoot tighter groups with standard velocity , 1100fps and a bit less.

I have 4 rifles that are great shooter. 3 that will do under a 1" at 100 yards and a 40 year old 511P remmy that even with my sorry eye site and a globe and peep site will do 3/8" at 25 yards but i mainly shoot federal 711B,922A sk/wolf. To of these sell around 5 to 6 dollars a box. It also take 10 to 15 rounds when changeing brands before groups well shoot there best. Buy junk and a rifle will shoot like junk more times than not.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
I've had good luck with the Federal 550 packs. Not in terms of repeatable accuracy but in them loading and firing correctly. The Federal is plinking ammo. When I want to shoot for small groups on paper it is CCI Mini-Mag at the absolute minimum. I have a Savage BV that shoots the Mini-Mags better than anything else I have tried in it.
+1 on federal. I just went through half of a 550 box in my Savage Mark 2. No failures to fire, and the only ftf I had was me jamming the bolt foward to hard and at an awkward angle. You just have to find bullets that work the best in your .22. After that, its nothing but fun.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8387 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Accuracy is expensive. Just HOW accurate do you want to be?

In the ordinary price range, CCI makes very good ammo. Federal Target is also great. Taregt Gold, better. If you find any Federal Champion Target STANDARD VELOCITY, buy all you can get- no longer out there, rumor was it was overrun of their match ammo.

Moving up in $$$, Wolf .22LR match is as good a Match round as I have seen. Fiocchi, Eley, Lapua Match and Nobel R-50 are incredibly accurate, consistent, and price will make you weep. I am paying about $16/ 50 rounds of Lapua Master and Nobel R-50. But they WILL do five in one ragged hole at 50 yards with the right rifle, right shooter.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

Liked 1089 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Accuracy is expensive. Just HOW accurate do you want to be?

In the ordinary price range, CCI makes very good ammo. Federal Target is also great. Taregt Gold, better. If you find any Federal Champion Target STANDARD VELOCITY, buy all you can get- no longer out there, rumor was it was overrun of their match ammo.

Moving up in $$$, Wolf .22LR match is as good a Match round as I have seen. Fiocchi, Eley, Lapua Match and Nobel R-50 are incredibly accurate, consistent, and price will make you weep. I am paying about $16/ 50 rounds of Lapua Master and Nobel R-50. But they WILL do five in one ragged hole at 50 yards with the right rifle, right shooter.
I want to be minute of squirrel at about 40 yards. That is about as good as my eyes work. I will give the wolf a try. Thanks

I generally shoot three .22 rifles and one revolver. My favorite is an old Winchester model 190, but I also shoot a 10-22 (not nearly as reliable as the Winchester) and an even older J.C. Higgins single shot bolt, that as a kid, I used to shoot match boxes at 50 yards all day long. (Aim low left)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan