Colt AR platform in .22 caliber - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Colt AR platform in .22 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Nomad 1, at the store I bought mine at, they had 15 at the beginning of the week and by Friday they had one left. They sold out of the M4 style almost immediately. I can see that once they really catch on with the shooting public, they are gonna be hard to get. I know here in California, the shooting public has been waiting for something like this for a long, long time. We will probably never be able to own a Colt AR15 or any variant in .223 as long as Boxter and Feinstein are in office. This is the next best thing.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #12

Likes Given: 2

Default Thanks

Thanks, Chuck.

I'm from Illinois. I know exactly what you mean. Our politician are all in the pocket of the Chicago machine. Durbin and Burress anre no different than Boxer and Fienstein save for gender. Pure statists that cringe at the thought of individual rights.

Now that the Wisconsin AG has ruled that open carry is legal my poor excuse for a state is the only one in this nation without some form of permitted carry. It will be that way until we rid ourselves of the fascist element on the southwest side of the lake. On the other hand, I can still buy an AR without the ridiculous restrictions you face.

Oh well.

Pray for justice at the ballot box in '10 and '12.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Umarex 22 LR Colt M4 Carbine

Umarex M16 Rifle Colt 30 + 1 22 Long Rifle w/20" Barrel/Black Finish

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58575

Umarex 22 LR Colt M4 Carbine/External Safety/Flat Top Receiver/Retractable Stock

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #14

I finally got to shoot my Colt M4 .22 so here is a quick range report.

I fired three types of ammo from the gun; American Eagle (Federal), CCI Mini Mags, Remington Target. All shooting was done off hand at 25 yards since our indoor range only has a 25 yard rifle range and 15 yard pistol ranges; I shot 5 shot strings with the iron sights only at NRA slow fire pistol targets. I did not have time to clean the rifle before shooting but I did put a drop of Hoppes #9 in the firing pin area just so that any grease there would disolve. Here are my findings.

It took me 10 shots to zero the rifle with the Mini Mags, which I tested first. After shooting 100 Mini Mags, I had 2 light strikes (failure to fire) and no misfeeds or failures to eject. Average group size was around 2" with an occassional flier due to my less than perfect eyes and a less than stellar trigger pull; the trigger seemed to get better the more I shot though.

I didn't have to re-zero the rifle for the American Eagle loads. But Wow, I literally cut the red bull's eye out of a fresh target with these. There were NO hits in the 8 or 9 ring at all, just in the red bull's eye. Incredible for a new uncleaned rifle. The results were the same for 100 rounds using 4 different targets. I had one light strike with these loads and all other rounds fired perfectly with no stoppages of any kind.

The Remington target loads were a different story. The loads were fairly accurate, on par with the Mini Mags, but I had 5 light strikes with this ammo no failures to feed or eject however.

All in all I am really happy with this rifle. I am going to try the Fedeal Bulk ammo next as it seems to like the American Eagle brand made by Federal. I found I could shoot the gun better with the buttstock extended fully. The gun ejects the empty cases with authority and well to the side. Sight adjustment was easy, but the front was a bit harder to adjust for elevation than the rear. I used the rear small apeture peep sight for this test. The magazine was pretty hard to remove for the first 50 rounds or so, after a while though it became pretty easy to remove and install. One complaint I have read on the forums is that the ejection port cover doesn't work; I can tell you mine does. It stays closed as long as the bolt is in the rear position. During insertion of the magazine and charging the gun, the ejection port cover pops open when the round is picked up from the magazine and the bolt slams shut; pretty neat. All in all, this rifle fits the bill for me just right. I am one of the few people on the planet who are just not into the whole Ruger 10/22 customization thing. I have wanted a .22 rifle like this for a long time and Colt/Walther finally made my wish come true. While pricey at $675.00 compared to other semi-auto .22s, I still think that for me, it was a great buy.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Our local sporting goods store got a shipment of both the Colt M4 22's and the S&W M&P 22 in last week. After handling both guns and doing some checking around the internet for reviews of the two guns, I bought the S&W. I preferred the lighter weight polymer construction (this is not "cheap" plastic), the standard factory rails and the fact that it was $125-$150 cheaper than the Colt. FYI, I walked out the door with the M&P for $450. I already had a lot of extra parts from an AR that I had years ago - I wasn't impressed with the gun and sold it - so I was able to add a carry handle and vertical grip at no extra cost along with some rail covers. FYI, the picture here is not my personal gun but was taken from the S&W site, but is the same except for the accessories I just mentioned.

I shot about 100 rds my first trip to the range with the M&P. It was just as accurate and reliable as my old Ruger 10/22 and I'm able to do a lot more with it as far as customizing how I set it up. Also, This gun is just plain FUN to shoot! As I said this gun is lighter than the Colt and being it's a 22LR and not a center fire round, that was a nice plus. Also, there are no non-functioning knobs or buttons (like fake forward assists) installed just for looks. You can swap out the M&P's trigger assembly with any standard AR match trigger as well as the stocks and the rails accept Weaver based and picatinny accessories. It will also accept most aftermarket pistol grips. I can't confirm it personally, but according to several different reviews I read the barrels are high quality and made by Thompson-Center.

As I said, I looked at both guns and for my purposes, the S&W M&P 15/22 was the way to go. OTOH, if you want something closer to the classic M4 and/or like the feel of metal vs. polymer you may prefer the Colt.

mp15-22.jpg  

Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Nomad 1, at the store I bought mine at, they had 15 at the beginning of the week and by Friday they had one left. They sold out of the M4 style almost immediately. I can see that once they really catch on with the shooting public, they are gonna be hard to get. I know here in California, the shooting public has been waiting for something like this for a long, long time. We will probably never be able to own a Colt AR15 or any variant in .223 as long as Boxter and Feinstein are in office. This is the next best thing.
I'm curious... does the .22 have a standard lower that will support a .223/5.56mm upper??

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #17

No it does not. The gun is a dedicated .22.