Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Colt AR platform in .22 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Colt AR platform in .22 caliber

I was at the range a week ago. They only have a 25 yd range limited to handgun calibers. One person brought in what looked like an M4 carbine as I was leaving. A quick inquiry to him on this and he said it was convertible between 22 LR rimfire and .223 center fire. Later I saw a photo post from the Shot Show in Orlando that said Colt made something similar to what I saw. I'll be darned if I can find anything else on this. No info on the civilian Colt web site and I can't remember where I found the photos of the Shot Show.

Can anyone help me out with this? I tried a forum search and came up empty. I realize, though, that this does not mean it's not there.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Not an M4, but maybe this link will help...

View the AR-15 (.22LR)<br>Complete Rifle ($909.56), or <br>Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly & Magazine ($538) at http://www.precisionweapons.com

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

When I was younger I went to a summer camp at Indiana's Camp Atterbury just south of Indy. It was run by the Army and we got to do some of the same things our military servicemen and women do. We rode in M113 APC's and ran the obstacle course and got to shoot AR-15s. The AR's they let us shoot were equipt with the .22 LR conversion kits.

They had them for sale at the MG shoot at Knob Creek last week but I didn't look at them so I couldn't tell you what the price was.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

ANY 5.56/.223 AR can be converted to fire .22LR for a couple of hundred bucks - so I don't understand the question.

Are you looking for a purpose built one from Colt?

Or are you looking for a way to convert the gun you already have or are thinking about purchasing?

JD

Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #5

Default Response to a question

In response to the question from Dillinger, no I am not looking to convert a rifle I own nor am I looking to buy anything at the moment.

The person I met at the range indicatd he had purchased the rifle in the current configuration.

I was just curious. Had I the time, I would have talked to the folks at the gunshop. I then saw the reference to a Colt from Shot Show 09 but could not find this on their we site.

I figured this group would know something so I posted the question. I did get responses and I appreciate the help.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I just joined this site today, read your message and yes Colt is making a .22 cal. that looks an AR. Do not know to much about them I have seen 3 for sale recently up here in Maine@ local gun store. Owner said Colt started making them this year or last. My buddy bought one last week, haven' t talked to him lately so not sure how he likes it. Hopefully I'll have more to tell u later.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

they are made by Umarex, and are on the galleryofguns

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #8

Local gun store here ordered 50 of them 2 weeks ago and had one left on Friday. They were going for $569 and were a full Colt AR in a .22LR caliber. 16" tactical barrel and adjustable stock are standard. It's a great .22 from what I can tell.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #9

I just brought one of these home on Saturday. No, they are NOT made by Umarex. Umarex is the importer. They are fully licensed by Colt and and made by Carl Walther in Germany. I haven't shot mine, but the darned thing is excellent in fit and finish and is pretty heavy for a .22 LR. The bolt release does not work and neither does the forward assist plunger, but other than that and the 180 degree rotation of the safety, the thing is identical to a .223 Colt M4 down to the bayonet lug under the barrel. The receiver is aluminum with a steel bolt. The magazine is also aluminum. Since I live in California, mine came with a 10 rd. magazine. The sights are also standard M4 and the manual says they are NOT graduated for .22 LR so sighting in will have to be done hit and miss. The carry handle is removable for installation of optical sights. If my new M4 .22 shoots as well as it looks I will be overjoyed. I paid $675.00 for mine but have seen them advertised for less. This is a great alternative for those that want a semi-auto .22 but do NOT want a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin semi (everybody and his uncle has these).

Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #10

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. Now I am a bit more than just curious. If anyone has time to post a range report I would enjoy reading the comments.

At first I did not think I would want an AR type rifle in .22 caliber. I asked the question out of curiosity. However, the man I met seemed to be having a good time at the indoor pistol range. The range is much closer to my house than the rifle range and much more comfortable in winter. Hence, I am now intrigued.

BTW, I finally saw an ad from Colt for this rifle. I guess the way demand is going, new products are taking much longer to get to the public.

Again,
Thanks to all.