cleanout hole
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > cleanout hole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cleanout hole

I want to bore a cleanout hole on the rear of the receiver of my gun but I don't know where is the safest place to bore it ? How can I generally find this out?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I`m lost. Why would you want a clean out hole in your receiver????????? Can`t you just drop the action out of the stock and clean it???

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will just have to figure it out to make it inline with the bore. Mine do not have them, so I can't help you there. Possibly you could find your answer at rimfirecentral.

On a semi-auto, if you want to clean from the chamber end, you have to bore a hole in the rear of the receiver.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Making any modifications to your firearm in the action area leaves you open to weakining the action and having a bad failure. Just because they do not produce the psi of some centerfire round does not mean you can not blow one up.

I would sugest learning how to field strip the firearm to clean it.

No firearm I know of needs anything drilled in the action for clean out.

If it is for using a cleaning rod just clean from the muzzle taking care not to damage the muzzle. There is no way a patch and a brass jag will make barrel steal move. but you can nick it.

Last edited by cpttango30; 10-24-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #5

I think the reference may be to 10/22 receivers that have been drilled to run a rod from the chamber end. I have seen custom shops do this and some non Ruger receivers have this provision. I would not do it on my own to a factory receiver. I agree with cpttango30. CAREFULLY clean with a brass rod/ jag from the muzzle, and even get a plastic guide.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default clean out

Another option is to carefully run the cleaning rod down the barrel thru the breech, attach the brush and pull it thru. You can hold the brush with needle nose pliers if you have meat hooks like me. If you are careful there is no need to go from the breech end. Unless you have a high dollar Anschutz or something, I would not sweat it.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm assuming it's a 10/22. You can use a bore snake w/o having to drill a hole. If you still want to use a cleaning rod do a search here www.rimfirecentral.com & you'll find the procedure to do it. The receiver is aluminum or a similar alloy so it's pretty easy to drill.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If it is a 10/22 then just take the barrel off the reciever. The only thing holding the barrel to the reciever is two hex bolts. unscrew them and pull the barrel off then you do not have to worry about moding the action or hurting the muzzle crown.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #9

What I have done on all my 10/22s is to take the stock off and take all the guts out of the receiver, with the barrel still attached take a flash light and place it on the end of the barrel so the light will shine down the bore. Mark where the light hits on the back of the receiver. Measure from center of the mark to the OUTSIDE edge of the receiver and do the same for bottom of the receiver. Take you measurements and transfer your center mark for the hole to the outside of the back of the receiver. Clamp the receiver in a vise, carefully as it is aluminum, and drill your hole using a bit that is a little larger than the diameter of the bore. If your hole is not perfectly centered don't worry about it, you shouldn't be puting anything down your barrel that will scratch or gouge it anyways.