Cleaning a Ruger 10/22 with scope

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cleaning a Ruger 10/22 with scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Cleaning a Ruger 10/22 with scope

Any tips on how to clean a this gun with scope mounted on? I dont want to take the scope off the gun each time i clean. And no, i dont have the new take-down version.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If its anything like my 702 Plinkster that I had a little while ago, just leave the scope on and clean it like normal. All I would do with mine was pull the stock off it, open the action run a few patches through it then I'd give the bolt and such a good wipe down. I know with the Plinkster you had to send the cleaning rod down the muzzle, put the patch on it and then drag it back out the way you went in.

After cleaning your rifle you may or may not notice a change in the point of impact, even if its a small one. I personally wouldn't really bother adjusting the scope again unless it hasn't gone back to hitting where it used to in maybe 10-20 shots. Like I said though, I doubt it'll make any real POI shifts.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I also leave the scope on my weapons when cleaning but I'm careful not to get oil or other cleaning products on the scope lenses as this can be a pain to remove.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Norwegian Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I leave my scope on also. I have a Remmy 597 and a 10/22 but its a takedown. I bought a cheap gun rest and use that to hold the gun. I use a bore snake to clean the barrel, usually run it through 4 or 5 times. The bore snake does a good job as I have ran a rod and patch through my 10/22 after using the snake and it does get it clean. I use small patches with hoppes 9 on them for the chamber and for the hard to reach areas I use a Q tip.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin225HO View Post
I leave my scope on also. I have a Remmy 597 and a 10/22 but its a takedown. I bought a cheap gun rest and use that to hold the gun. I use a bore snake to clean the barrel, usually run it through 4 or 5 times. The bore snake does a good job as I have ran a rod and patch through my 10/22 after using the snake and it does get it clean. I use small patches with hoppes 9 on them for the chamber and for the hard to reach areas I use a Q tip.
I would definitely recommended the bore snake over a rod in a semi auto

I start the snake off in the chamber end to avoid excessive wear on the crown and avoid dragging crud back into the action

Periodically take the action out of the stock and break it down for full clean
I tend to clean the barrel after a couple of thousand rounds but I would do a quick wipe in the chamber after each shoot .

Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
hmh

Liked 156 Times on 108 Posts

You can drill a hole in the back of the receiver. If you go to rimfirecentral you can get the exact measurements on where and what size.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2288 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Taking the action out of the stock can change your poi. The action screw should be torqued and different guns like different torques. I usually start at 18 inch pounds and will adjust up to about 22 inch pounds. I never remove the scope or optic. Get an Otis cleaning kit.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Norwegian Likes This