Cleaning the Ruger 10/22 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cleaning the Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I live right on the Pacific Ocean. Two of my 10/22s were left in my gun safe for 15 years with no oil in the barrel or any TLC whatever. When I got back into shooting, every component was pristine and there was no corrosion in the barrels. Both shoot as nice as when they were new. So I guess oil in the barrel is not that big of a thing.

Nothing wrong with running a lightly oiled patch down the barrel after cleaning it, of course. But I do not do it. I clean all my firearms the way the US Army taught me. First a bore brush to knock the crud off the barrel innards. Then several patches soaked in Hoppes #9 or equivalent, then dry patches until they come out clean. This has worked for me for 40 years.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i always run a couple of dry patches after the final solvent patch then run an oiled path and then a dry patch to get the excess out. thats what i do on all my guns not just 10/22
I do the exact same thing

Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

I use a bore snake

Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I bought one in the early '90s. I cleaned it twice. Once soon after I got it and the second time after I had forgotten what a pain in the butt it was to reassemble. I have shot it hundreds of times without cleaning it, and it does fine. If it ever stops, I might clean it again.....

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I bought one in the early '90s. I cleaned it twice. Once soon after I got it and the second time after I had forgotten what a pain in the butt it was to reassemble. I have shot it hundreds of times without cleaning it, and it does fine. If it ever stops, I might clean it again.....
What part of reassembling the 10/22 did you find to be a pain? Putting the bolt/charging handle assembly back together requires a little trick, but that is about it. I clean my 10/22s after every shoot, same as all my weapons. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #16

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

for the barrel i do the same as the OP. clean it, dry it, one lightly oiled patch before putting up.

now on the action, i have two methods.
first option is to completly dissasemble the rifle except for removing the barrel. then clean and oil each metal part. this is done between shooting sessons (usually Sunday evening while watching sports) or when the rifle even burps wrong.

second is to rinse the action in a light weight oil unitl it runs clear. then wipe down everything i can get to. this is usually done after each day's outing or at the range when i get past a brick of ammo through it in a day. I tend to shoot mostly on weekends so this tends to be my Saturday routine. I have shot two bricks in a day when someone else was loading the mags for me. gotta luv enthusiastic kids!