Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cleaning the Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaning the Ruger 10/22

Hey guys, I have posted a few times on the Mini-14 Forum but not here. I am finally in a place in my life that I can afford to buy rifles (it was either this or a motorcycle, and I'm cheap). Yep I am into my early 40's >.>. Use this excuse the next time your expenses on a firearm get questioned by your better half
Needless to say, shooting the Mini is a blast. But as I stated before, I'm cheap. I have put around 650 rounds through the mini at this point and have, roughly 800 rounds "in stock". At .37 cents a round, it is getting expensive. Last saturday I put 160 rounds through her, so that outing cost me almost well over 50 bucks.
I was in the navy for 8 years in my youth so I have been around military weapons of all sorts. It's a damn shame I can't own a .50 cal M2HB machine gun, I have shot it from a tripod and deck mount, gives me wood just thinking about it.
As I was in the Navy, and not a Gunnersmate, I never got to spend much time with them to get accurate. So now is finally my time. Because of the expense of shooting .223/5.56 and my sending away my rifle to Gundoc for some accurizing, I decided to get the 10/22 to improve my technique and accuracy. I have purchased and am waiting on tech-site's ghost ring sights (peep sites) for both the mini and the 10/22 so the sighting system's are the same.
I finally found an all weather 10/22 locally today and brought her home. I don't expect her to be a competition target accurate weapon, but I want to use it for accuracy training. I broke her down this evening to clean the manufacturing out of her before shooting tomorrow. Now I have questions.
I watched the Ruger videos to make sure I didn't mess anything up. There was nothing mentioned about putting an oiled patch through the bore after the cleaning solvent. I am just wanting to make sure that this is correct.
I have read lots of conflicting stuff on the break in, and haven't heard anything about oiling the bore so I thought I would bother you fine folks.
The mini isn't my destination, I am aiming at shooting accurately with bolt action .308 one of these days to harvest venison in my local area. I am on my own personal journey to accuracy, I am really not worried about how long it takes.
Thanks
Commocarl

Last edited by Commocarl; 05-25-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It should be fine. The ruger 10/22 is a highly accurate and reliable gun. You can shoot the sh*t out of it and it will keep going. I cleaned one the other day and it had enough leading in it that I could probably have melted it down and made 20 rounds for it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

i always run a couple of dry patches after the final solvent patch then run an oiled path and then a dry patch to get the excess out. thats what i do on all my guns not just 10/22

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #4

I always do that on my mini, which is why I was wondering.
Also, if I am shooting for accuracy should I use jacketed ammo, or will lead do?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

depends. lead is typically more accurate but not all 22lr is the same. try various makes to see what shoots the best.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #6

I bought a brick of each, going to really air it out tomorrow

Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

I got my tech sights in, and have realized I built a Liberty Training Rifle.

The guys at tech sights sent targets, and a flyer along with my order. I never heard of appleseed before. I am glad to see there is quite a large comunity of people out there teaching marksmanship.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl
I got my tech sights in, and have realized I built a Liberty Training Rifle.

The guys at tech sights sent targets, and a flyer along with my order. I never heard of appleseed before. I am glad to see there is quite a large comunity of people out there teaching marksmanship.
They sponsor shoot in every state in the union. Check out Www.appleseedinfo.com

Corvette

Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same here i always run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel after cleaning. The way i see it is i do it on all of my weapons, its not gonna hurt and will preserve the barrel. Thats the way i was tought and thats the way i teach my son. Its his .22 and he loves cleaning after were done shooting. Good luck with the Ruger!

Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb4085 View Post
They sponsor shoot in every state in the union. Check out Www.appleseedinfo.com

Corvette
I checked, there are several in Texas. Just none anywhere near me. With my time in the Navy, and some articles on the net, I have the basics. Just have to practice.