Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   cleaning question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/cleaning-question-83847/)

Lovegun 02-09-2013 11:51 PM

cleaning question

I have the mossy 715T flat top that I finally got around to shooting today. After 100 rounds I just put the snake down the barrel with the solvent and wire brush, nothing to complicated. So my questions are once the snake exited the barrel and went into the chamber it would hit the front of the bolt where the firing pin comes out. I don't think it was that hard but am I endanger of damaging anything? Also should I run some lubricant in the barrel as well?

sleeper 02-10-2013 12:17 AM

If you're talking about a bore snake you should be putting in through chamber and then exit the end of the barrel. That way all the stuff you drag through the barrel doesn't all go into the action. I think I understood the question right.

Lovegun 02-10-2013 01:06 AM

Ok I'm going through the wrong end all together then. I have the Hoppes metal cleaning rod I guess not a snake

sleeper 02-10-2013 02:47 PM

I have just recently purchased my first semi-auto .22 and had some of the same questions as you. I did some searching on a few of the forums and found out there are many different opinions on how to/ how often to clean your .22. It makes sense to clean a gun that works this way from the action to the bore and out the barrel. Otis makes a good cleaning kit that works this way but they are a bit pricey. I like a method I got from a you tube video of taking a piece of stuff lawn trimmer string and melting the tip to make a sort of Jag. Then push a patch soaked with solvent through the chamber and out the barrel. Then repeat with dry patches until clean. Maybe one of the gurus will chime in and help out more.

HOSSFLY 02-10-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovegun (Post 1131518)
Ok I'm going through the wrong end all together then. I have the Hoppes metal cleaning rod I guess not a snake

Get a BRASS rod--

GunMouse 02-10-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 1131446)
If you're talking about a bore snake you should be putting in through chamber and then exit the end of the barrel. That way all the stuff you drag through the barrel doesn't all go into the action. I think I understood the question right.

Sleeper hit it right. Chamber to the end of the bore.

Lovegun 02-10-2013 05:38 PM

Ok I need a new cleaning kit then! Thanks guys

primer1 02-10-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovegun
Ok I need a new cleaning kit then! Thanks guys

Dewey rods are expensive, but nice.

Lovegun 02-10-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer1 (Post 1132390)

Dewey rods are expensive, but nice.

Would any gun shop have them?

Sniper03 02-10-2013 10:48 PM

Lovegun,

The gang is correct! "Never" clean an AR from the muzzle to the chamber. Always at least pull the Take Down Pin remove the Bolt Carrier Assembly and clean from the Chamber to the Muzzle. As well as dissasemble the Bolt Carrier Group and clean it. In addition always clean the Barrel with the Front Sight or Gas Block in the upright position. If you clean it with the Front Sight or Gas Block facing the floor. You are dealing with first the hydrolic action of a wet patch with solvent in the bore. And also gravity will assist in getting the solvent down into your Gas Port and into the Gas Tube. Therefore possibly causing carbon build up in the Gas Port and Gas Tube since the solvent becomes fuel in a blast furnace when the weapon is fired. I am also with Primer1 and the others. Get a Dewey *22 CaL. Coated Rod or a Brass 22 Cal. Rod. Damaging the (lands and grooves) known as Rifleing or causing damage to the end of the Muzzle will cause serious accuracy problems for you. If you Google Dewey Cleaning Rods you will see who all handles them. Dewey, Brownells, Sinclair Int., Midway USA as mentioned all have great cleaning rods. I prefer the bearing handles on my rods. A lot of shops do not carry good rods! They handle the aluminum or steel rods! Also always use a Brass Cleaning Tip or Brass Jag Tip and Brush on the rod. They also make some good plastic type Tips and Brushes now also. But I prefer the Brass!
Purchase a good solvent to clean with like Shooters Choice, Hoppes #9, or other good solvent. Then wipe clean and use a good Lubricant on the parts. Your Bolt and Carrier should look slightly wet on the AR. We also have our good Mobile # Formula explained here on a FTF Thread or two, if you are interested. We use it at the LE Academy~ Great Lube for the AR-15 and M-16 Rifles. Have fun!:D
There are a lot of good folks here that are more than willing to assist if you need it!