Cleaning Marlin 22.lr - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cleaning Marlin 22.lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Salt Peter.....

I can remember my father talking about the army adding this to the food they fed the recruits in WW2......No wonder you had a FTF.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #12

Likes Given: 1

Hi nice to see someone else from Fort Wayne on here.

The 22 round is a very dirty round. I clean my marlin after every trip to the range and it is nasty.

It sounds like you are cleaning it fine but I would suggest leaving some of the oil on the internal parts. I use Rem oil in the spray bottle for cleaning but I have it in a squirt bottle I take with me to the range to lub the action every 50 rounds. If I don't it will start to fail to feed.

What range to you go to?

Mossberg 500
Glock 17
Savage Mark 2
Hi point 995TS
Winchester 410
Rossie single shot 22lr

Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I clean my Marlin 60's every 100,000 rounds whether they need it or not. Seriously a .22 does not require being cleaned after every shooting. I went 11 years without cleaning the action of my old Marlin 60. I have NEVER put any oil on the action. It is starting to slow down and not function exactly right now. But I've shot 150,000 rounds through it. It worked perfect until I was cleaning the action and got one of the springs just a little out of alignment. It has had problems since then so I'd have to say it was really my fault it doesn't work right because I cleaned it when it didn't really need it. And I've never put one drop of oil on the action ever in all the time I've owned it. Oil collects powder residue. You will more problems from the oil than you do from the powder. If I clean the action I just brush it off.

All of my .22's shoot more accurate with a fouled bore. Some are extremely more accurate that way. If I clean my Savage I have to shoot about 100 rounds before it comes close to being as accurate as it was before I cleaned it. And I shoot Wolf almost exclusively in it. Wolf .22 ammo is not very dirty at all IMO. Remington is horrible. Federal has gotten really bad in the last couple of years too. It used to be really good but that seems to be over. Thank the people who elected our current president for that. Because of the hoarding of ammo and the resulting shortages companies started reducing quality control or at least some companies did. Federal was one of those companies. It will be years before I buy any more of their ammo and I shot very little else for probably 20 years. My Marlin 60 loved it. Not now. It gums up everything I put it in. CCI is the best bulk ammo now IMO. It works well in my Savage, my CZ, all 4 of my Marlins, my Stevens, and everything I try it in pretty much.

Last edited by Jeff56; 10-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #14

+ 1 for Break Free.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
Hi nice to see someone else from Fort Wayne on here.

The 22 round is a very dirty round. I clean my marlin after every trip to the range and it is nasty.

It sounds like you are cleaning it fine but I would suggest leaving some of the oil on the internal parts. I use Rem oil in the spray bottle for cleaning but I have it in a squirt bottle I take with me to the range to lub the action every 50 rounds. If I don't it will start to fail to feed.

What range to you go to?
I aculy use my own backyard, i can shoot from 150 to 10 yards and never think i needed a range. But i do hunt at tri county

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #16

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbooks10 View Post
I aculy use my own backyard, i can shoot from 150 to 10 yards and never think i needed a range. But i do hunt at tri county

That is cool I don't have room to shoot around my house. I some times go to Roush, but most of the time I go to Izzak Walton.

Never been to Tri county but I have heard good things.

Mossberg 500
Glock 17
Savage Mark 2
Hi point 995TS
Winchester 410
Rossie single shot 22lr

Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
That is cool I don't have room to shoot around my house. I some times go to Roush, but most of the time I go to Izzak Walton.

Never been to Tri county but I have heard good things.

thats cool. ive went hiking and hunting at both those places

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.