Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cleaning a lever action after shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Howdy I just got a Henry .22 and its my first non bolt action rifle. Anyone know how to clean these rifles after a day at the range I was told to never insert the rod muzzle first however on the lever action you can't remove the bolt easily , or can you? please help it's sitting dirty and THAT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO A PEICE OF AMERICAN HISTORY (lever action)
Thanks in advance...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8057 Times on 4651 Posts
Likes Given: 10400

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1GARANDBING View Post
Howdy I just got a Henry .22 and its my first non bolt action rifle. Anyone know how to clean these rifles after a day at the range I was told to never insert the rod muzzle first however on the lever action you can't remove the bolt easily , or can you? please help it's sitting dirty and THAT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO A PEICE OF AMERICAN HISTORY (lever action)
Thanks in advance...
Many people don't brush the bore on their rimfires. Personally I use a bore snake from the breech periodically- like every 500 rounds or so.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20935 Times on 11893 Posts
Likes Given: 52492

use a Bore Snake to clean the bore.

part of the reason you clean from the breech instead of the muzzle is that you don't want to ding or damage the crown, as this can affect accuracy if it's damaged. there are some types of rifles that are much easier to clean from the muzzle, like lever actions and some semi-auto rifles. i clean my lever actions from the muzzle, but use a muzzle guard to protect the crown. most places that have full line of gun cleaning products should have them. i got mine from MidwayUSA. they are not very expensive.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Cleaning a Henry

There is a nice video on bench stripping a Henry on the net. I also agree with viking on running the bore snake down the barrel after 500 rounds! Cliff

Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use only subsonic lead ammo and NEVER use a brush on mine. Just a few dry patches every 1500 to 2000 rounds. Or when accuracy starts to die off a little. Don't use a snake either because they have bore brushes imbedded in them. The lands and groves are so small that they will pull small amounts of brass from the brush and leave them in the barrel. Because of the lower bullet speed the rear of the bullet isn't deformed and the corners of the lands cut into the bullet just enough for consistent accuracy. (Match ammo helps too). Brass is abrasive to steel it just takes a long time but keep in mind that brushes are over sized as well. Once the sharp corners on the lands are gone so is accuracy forever. If you are using plated bulk ammo this does not apply and I would foam or solvent because that coating comes off in the barrel too. If my accuracy didn't improve from following this I wouldn't be telling you all this. and yes it is the hardest thing in the world not to clean my favorite gun after I shot it all day.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5500 Times on 3114 Posts
Likes Given: 4776

On a .22 rifle, I clean the chamber with a Q-tip, but I only clean the bore every few thousand rounds.

Many small bore competitors never clean the bore of their 22 match rifles.

Winston Churchill