Cleaning .22lr
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cleaning .22lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning .22lr

I had a quick question about using a steal bore brush to clean a Remington 597 .22lr. The barrel is not removable and there is no way to push the brush through from the chamber side. I have heard that you are not supposed to push the bore brush through from the muzzle end, IE against the rifling, but I wanted to know if this was true or not. If this is true, what is the best way to clean a .22 other than with cleaning patches. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Carefully push the rod through the muzzle end and run it down into the receiver. Screw the brush onto the rod there.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Remove barreled action from stock, you'll see 1 allen head screw holding the barrel block on, remove that screw & block, clean from breech, reassemble.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Jay

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

...or just get a patchworm and pull your patches thru from the breech without taking the barrel off. I've got several in my range bag, on the bench, and in the truck. I think they're excellent.

20/20 Concepts shooting accessories

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

STOP. DO NOT use a steel or any other metal bore brush on a rimfire. Heck you really don't need to clean the barrel but maybe one or twice a year or when the accuracy starts to get bad. I have almost 3000 rounds down the tube of one of my rimfires and the accuracy has not gotten any worse yet. Then it will be patches with Hoppe's #9 only.

I know plenty of guys with $2000 rimfire bench guns that don't clean the barrel at all.

You can clean from the muzzle if you want just make sure you don't harm the crown (Front face of barrel) the crown needs to be the most uniform part of a gun and will affect accuracy more than any other art of the gun minus the wing nut pulling the trigger. If you don't want to take the chance of harming the crown then get a patch worm.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #6

I haven't used a bore brush in years. Instead I use Q-Tips as you can screw them right into the end of the cleaning rod. Fluff out the other end a bit and dip it in your Bore Slovent (just a dab) and push it through either the breech or muzzle. Wait a bit then follow up with a few more Q-Tips and your bore cleaning is done. You can follow the last Q-Tip with a small lightly coated oil patch using the Q-Tip to push that through the bore. Seems to work for me and I'm happy with the results. Q-Tips are cheap.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA