Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Choosing my first .22! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/choosing-my-first-22-a-48293/)

Smythe222 09-15-2011 03:34 AM

Choosing my first .22!

Hello Everyone!

First post, and already asking for opinions/advice.

So I have read and reread a few different posts about .22s here and have gotten some fantastic info. I hope to provide enough info on what I'm looking for and my situation for you all! I am a novice shooter at best, and my good friends who've shot their whole lives have told me to grab a .22 and shoot the crap out of it and get some good instruction to start.

Now I am a college student so I'm not loaded, so I don't have thousands to dump into a gun. As far as use of the gun I'm going to do a lot of plinking, and I do a ton of backpacking and feel a .22 would be a good gun for small game.

I am looking for a .22 that is very accurate, good for a relative newbie, and is very durable. Ease of cleaning would be nice as I've never cleaned a .22. At my local shop there is a sale on the Marlin 795 for 100 bucks and in addition I'd get the $25 mail in rebate. I've also read that the Ruger 10/22 is another fantastic weapon. Any opinions/info about things to look for, cleaning tips, etc would be very much appreciated. I hope my first post is informative and well written for you all. Hope to talk to you soon!

MrWray 09-15-2011 06:02 AM

My opinion is get the ruger 10/22, case being they r a blank slate on everything tht u can do to them.. Plus they r really accurate and dependable. Ive had mine since i was 12 and im 33 now, havent cleaned it in years and it still shoots like a charm

Gh0zt36 09-15-2011 10:14 AM

I'd go for the Marlin clip fed bolt action .22 magnum really fun , not overpowering , bolt action focuses more on shooting than on pulling the trigger as fast as you can. they are pretty reliable and the .22 magnum is a bigger shell than the .22LR so would make a good small game gun should S ever HTF.

warhawk77 09-15-2011 11:26 AM

I feel the Marlin 795 is a great rifle and you can't go wrong with it. It is accurate, great price, easy to clean, and if you take care of it it will last many years.

The 10/22 looks nice and it has lots of after market stuff to make the rifle one of a kind. But it is about twice as much as the marlin and some of the after market stuff is pretty costly.

I like a bolt action also but they are a little more money than a semi auto. I have been looking for another rifle for my boys so I also have been doing research. Other options you have are

Savage (don't own one but look nice)
Remington (very nice but higher price)
Mossberg (not impressed with bolt action)

If the store still have the sale for marlin at $100 I would get one with out question. You can't go wrong on a new $75 rifle. Rumor is one of the shops here will be putting them on sale on black friday, and if so I will be picking one up.

303tom 09-15-2011 12:02 PM

Savage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moron88 09-15-2011 08:37 PM

you have a few options. the 795 is a pretty good deal, that would be my first choice. in no particular order, here are a few guns on my wish list.

rossi trifecta 2-BRZ202244YBS - Rossi Youth Trifecta Single Shot Rifle and Shotgun Matched Set .22 Long Rifle .44 Magnum 20 Gauge Black Synthetic Stock Blued Finish
it offers the flexibility of 3 different rounds so once you have become acquainted with .22, you can move up to 20 gauge and .44mag as you feel comfortable.

henry octagon barrel lever 17113 - Henry Repeating Arms Octagon Model H001T Lever Action Rimfire Rifle .22 Long Rifle 20" Octagon Barrel 16 Rounds American Walnut Stock Blued Finish
cant go wrong with a lever. my understanding is that they hold their value pretty well even with mild damage (scratched stock, mild surface rust, etc) and they are easy to use with gloves in the winter.

stevens 300 24975 - Stevens Model 300 Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle .22 Long Rifle 20.75" Barrel 11 Rounds Gray Synthetic Stock Blued Barrel & Bolt
for one reason or another, bolts tend to be the more accurate action.

if you're a lefty, this might be something of interest 2-SV50701 - Savage Model Mark II-GL Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle Left-Hand Model .22 LR 20.75" Barrel 10 Rounds Monte Carlo Hardwood Stock Blued Barrel & Bolt

ScottA 09-16-2011 01:06 AM

If you're not set on a magazine fed rifle, I'd check out the Marlin 60.

ChicagoJoe 09-16-2011 01:06 AM

Are you seeking a semi-auto or bolt? I just ordered a Remington 597 from Dicks. The list was $169.99 and Remington offers a $25 rebate. I also looked at the Marlin 795 and Mossberg 702, both of which I thought were sized for kids. The 597 has great iron sights and the stock fits an adult.

Smythe222 09-16-2011 04:17 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to grab the Marlin 795 just because 75 bucks seems to good to pass up. Now, on to more questions :)

As far as cleaning goes I found a good youtube video that explains everything nicely, but I do have some possibly silly questions. As far as lube and a cleaning solvent what kind of stuff should I use? Do I just buy a premade cleaning kit or put one together? Thanks again guys, you are great!

MrWray 09-16-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smythe222
Hey guys thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to grab the Marlin 795 just because 75 bucks seems to good to pass up. Now, on to more questions :)

As far as cleaning goes I found a good youtube video that explains everything nicely, but I do have some possibly silly questions. As far as lube and a cleaning solvent what kind of stuff should I use? Do I just buy a premade cleaning kit or put one together? Thanks again guys, you are great!

Any choice u make will b a good one, its all about preferences.. And the only silly or stupid question is the one tht u dont ask.. I just use cleaning supplies by OUTERS which u can pick up at any walmart.. They sell different kits for the different calibers.i also use Break Free for light cleaning and lubing