choosing a lever action .22lr rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > choosing a lever action .22lr rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heidelberg,MS
Posts: 1,420
Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
Heck, I'd got Marlin 39A 1st choice, Browning Second, and Henry Third.

Although, I'd try to get an slightly older, used 39A in good condition...I hate crossbolt safeties.

Only safety I need is the one in my head.
I'd have said Henry, Marlin and then Browning. I really hate the short lever throw on the Browning. Crossbolt safeties suck. I wont own one.
__________________
DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php
Hawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Oh, almost forgot the Marlin 56, 57, & 57M...
the Lever-Matics!!

Shortest throw on a lever you will EVER find, ain't even gotta take yer thumb off the stock!!

Marlin 56 (box-mag fed) (the "After" pic)


This one was a disaster when I found it in a pawn shop, but it looks good now

The "Before" pic...ugly as heck, it was...woof!
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/826368/original/gedc0001.jpg


I agree about the Crossbolt safety....pre-1986 is the Way to Go with Marlins
__________________
Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

Last edited by big shrek; 05-11-2011 at 02:00 AM.
big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Metter,Georgia
Posts: 40
Default

FWIW:

I recently purchased a "like new" Marlin model 39 (1970 Century Limited) off GunBroker for less than $500 shipped..

The CL came in beautiful condition, but even better, the original owner (I bought it from) had installed an all steel Redfield peep sight (and higher front sight) right after he bought it in 1970..

I already had one CL and I thought it was pretty darn accurate (with factory sights) until I dialed in the Redfield on the 2nd CL..

Now it is very, very accurate.. In fact IF I can see the target (I'm an old fart) chances are I can hit it, pretty much where I want to....

I have a 1996 39A with a Bushnell 4 power scope on it, and at 50 yards I'm as accurate with the CL w/Redfield as I am with the scoped 39A..

That surprised me.

Folks really brag about the 39A's (particularly the older ones), but I'm pretty darn high on this "blinged up" Mountie..

For your purposes, I'd say, for the money, a Henry would be a good place to start.. You might like it so much you'll never buy another 22cal rifle, and if that's the case more power to ya.

You seldom read negatives about Henry's from owners, and that's always a good sign.. I'm seriously considering buying one myself just to see what the hype is all about..

Plus I've got all sorts of other 22cal rifles to shoot against it, head to head, for "fun" comparison.

Good shopping and good shooting with whatever you wind up buying.

Best Wishes,

Jesse



PX15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,541
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX15 View Post
FWIW:

I recently purchased a "like new" Marlin model 39 (1970 Century Limited) off GunBroker for less than $500 shipped..

The CL came in beautiful condition, but even better, the original owner (I bought it from) had installed an all steel Redfield peep sight (and higher front sight) right after he bought it in 1970..

I already had one CL and I thought it was pretty darn accurate (with factory sights) until I dialed in the Redfield on the 2nd CL..

Now it is very, very accurate.. In fact IF I can see the target (I'm an old fart) chances are I can hit it, pretty much where I want to....

I have a 1996 39A with a Bushnell 4 power scope on it, and at 50 yards I'm as accurate with the CL w/Redfield as I am with the scoped 39A..

That surprised me.

Folks really brag about the 39A's (particularly the older ones), but I'm pretty darn high on this "blinged up" Mountie..

For your purposes, I'd say, for the money, a Henry would be a good place to start.. You might like it so much you'll never buy another 22cal rifle, and if that's the case more power to ya.

You seldom read negatives about Henry's from owners, and that's always a good sign.. I'm seriously considering buying one myself just to see what the hype is all about..

Plus I've got all sorts of other 22cal rifles to shoot against it, head to head, for "fun" comparison.

Good shopping and good shooting with whatever you wind up buying.

Best Wishes,

Jesse



Hey Jesse, can you post close up pics of the Redfield sights?
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Metter,Georgia
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Hey Jesse, can you post close up pics of the Redfield sights?


I'll get back to ya...


Jesse

I'M BACK!






Last edited by PX15; 05-12-2011 at 10:54 PM.
PX15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,882
Liked 3277 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Default

39-A is definitely my first choice. I have had two of them since I sold my first one years ago and regretted it. So four years ago I got my second one. They are one of the finest lever 22s made and are definitely accurate. I bought it with a Redfield Wide-view scope which I really do not like for $450.00. I guess I am just use to the round scope tube and the wide view is different being an oblong shaped scope tube. I say Marlin 39A. Although I have heard good things about the Henry's!

03
Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: A Quiet Town,CT
Posts: 63
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

What about the Winchester 9422? I've always wanted one and just recently got one. I love it! I know they don't make them any more but you can find them on Gun Broker. That's where I got mine.
ALS11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: safford az,arizona near the new mexico border
Posts: 25
Default

I have owned several levers including the marlin and henry. But by far the best in my opinion is the bl-22 from browning, followed by the marlin then winchester
bcarroll is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,541
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarroll View Post
I have owned several levers including the marlin and henry. But by far the best in my opinion is the bl-22 from browning, followed by the marlin then winchester
I had a BL22 many years ago. It was beautiful and shot pretty good, but I could never get used to the trigger and lever staying together. Too many years of using traditional lever actions, I guess.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Shermans Dale,PA
Posts: 1
Default

I bought a Henry Golden Boy last year, and it is a fine lever action. Bill
hawksnest88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
I need some advice on a lever action rifle saviorslegacy General Rifle Discussion 32 10-18-2010 05:29 AM
Lever-action rifle decision--need help! Hyperion45 General Rifle Discussion 8 10-13-2010 01:17 AM
Choosing between Winchester Wildcat .22LR or Target/Varmint version? dave79 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 1 09-17-2010 11:00 AM
Best Lever Action Rifle? ElmerDuff Blackpowder & Musket 15 08-02-2010 09:16 PM
.357 Lever Action Rifle JiroZero713 General Rifle Discussion 26 09-16-2009 07:31 PM



Newest Threads