Cheaper than Dirt 30 round mag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cheaper than Dirt 30 round mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cheaper than Dirt 30 round mag

Won't feed at all using Winchester 555 from Wally World. I realize you get what you pay for, but has anyone had any success with these mags with different ammo?

BTW, firing a stock Ruger 10-22.

Thanks.

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

No, does your magazine have plastic feed lips? Is so that is most likely your problem. You may want to look at Alangator TriMag. Connects the of your stock 10/22 rotary mags. Allowing you to carry thirty rounds on your gun. You can find them online if just over $10, oh and there made in America.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

I just got back from the range and I think I see the problem...sort of. First, yes, it's all plastic. But I think it actually goes into the gun too far. The slide gets stuck and never can connect to the round to chamber it. As I was trying to rack a round, I was simultaneously releasing the mag and slightly pulling it out when poof....the round got racked. Of course, a split second later, the mag was in my hand. I'm cool with throwing these things away and starting over, but if anyone has a simple fix for this, I'd be more than happy to try it.

12FRETTER

Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #4

12fretter-maybe a dremil with a small fine grit sanding wheel,kind of a cut-to-fit deal

Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #5

But what do I cut? There is a ridge that I shaved almost completely off with a knife, but it didn't help.

I think I need to try and take some fine pictures of it and see if I can show it.

12FRETTER

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #6

If you do manage to shave down the feed lip so everything fits flush, eventually the plastic will wear down and Fail to feed once again. Pick youeself up a trimag ,you will not be disappointed.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 11-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #7

Hey there fretter,
Just wanted to drop back in and let you know that I recently picked up a 30 round banana clip for my 10/22 with steel feed lips for $20 from ammunitiontogo.com
Works perfectly, no complaints and it will last unlike those with plastic lips.
Definitely worth looking into it your still have FT problems.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep, it's a common problem. The only aftermarket high capacity 10-22 magazine that is reliable other than the new Ruger 25-round mag. is the Butler Creek Steel Lip 25-round mag.. You need to make sure you get the steel feed lips if you want it to feed reliably. Even Butler Creek has a cheaper brand called Hot Lips that are plastic and aren't worth crap. The BC Steel Lips go for $15-20. I've got a bunch of them and they all work great.

Tactical Innovations make some good ones too, but their prices a way higher.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshoot91 View Post
Hey there fretter,
Just wanted to drop back in and let you know that I recently picked up a 30 round banana clip for my 10/22 with steel feed lips for $20 from ammunitiontogo.com
Works perfectly, no complaints and it will last unlike those with plastic lips.
Definitely worth looking into it your still have FT problems.
Awesome thanks. Do you have the name brand you got? I'll order them today.

12FRETTER

Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2286 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Ruger makes their own 25 rnd mags for the 10-22. A lot better than aftermarket. Go to the Ruger website or CDNN.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.