Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Charging Handle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/charging-handle-96443/)

OandB 09-02-2013 06:32 PM

Charging Handle

The charging handle on my Mossberg Plinkster 702 is stuck in the open position. Nothing I do seems to get it to close anyone have an idea why or a way to fix it?

mountainman13 09-02-2013 07:08 PM

Did you drop the magazine?
Got pics?

OandB 09-02-2013 07:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 116809

Attachment 116810

Yes I dropped the magazine. I was shooting it yesterday and about the 40 round it just locked open.

mountainman13 09-02-2013 07:14 PM

Probably some crud or copper stopping it from fully cycling.
Pop the trigger guard off and you should be able to strip it and diagnose.

kaido 09-02-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OandB
The charging handle on my Mossberg Plinkster 702 is stuck in the open position. Nothing I do seems to get it to close anyone have an idea why or a way to fix it?

This might sound silly....but pull the charging handle back, out and then release. There's a catch to hold the bolt open with no magazine inserted. The way to engage it is to pull the charging handle rearward, then push the handle in.

OandB 09-02-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido

This might sound silly....but pull the charging handle back, out and then release. There's a catch to hold the bolt open with no magazine inserted. The way to engage it is to pull the charging handle rearward, then push the handle in.

Silly but maybe silly enough to work....
That worked thank you. That's is what I was hoping for someone that had more knowledge on this particular firearm. It was the first time to shoot it and knew very little about it.

kaido 09-02-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Silly but maybe silly enough to work....
That worked thank you. That's is what I was hoping for someone that had more knowledge on this particular firearm. It was the first time to shoot it and knew very little about it.

Glad it helped. I actually used to own one as my first rifle. It was actually a good but of fun.

OandB 09-02-2013 08:46 PM

I enjoyed all 40 rounds until I messed it up. Plan on putting many more rounds through it.

kaido 09-02-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed all 40 rounds until I messed it up. Plan on putting many more rounds through it.

That sounds like a good plan. I've put probably 2-3000 rounds through mine before I traded it off. Only time I had any malfunctions was when I didn't seat the magazine properly.

longunner 09-03-2013 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido

Same feature on my marlin 60...