A change of Caliber---who needs a 22 anyway - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > A change of Caliber---who needs a 22 anyway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 02:56 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 480 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I actually have a lot of 22 ammo, but I won't shoot it. I have the feeling that once it's gone, I won't be able to replace it. I've been shooting my muzzleloaders and really enjoying their slow pace. I was at the range yesterday for an hour and managed to get pop off about 20 rounds.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #22

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

[QUOTE=DrFootball;1589170]No trouble buying 22LR ammo the past 6 weeks, between A Regional Gun show, and Big 5, we picked up 3 small bricks(at the gun show-225 Remington Golden Bullets, and Winchester WB 2-222's last week at Big 5..ya just gotta look around.

For those who live in Cities or very close by, you have many more choices of stores/gun shows where they sell ammo.
I live 20 miles from nearest towns that sell ammo and am limited to what they get in stock, and when I do get to town for groceries/farm parts, Ammo is already sold out long before I get there.
All my Rifles shoot CCI Mini Mags the most accurate. I can find ammo, BUT not good ammo that won't jam on feed ramp, short stroke or other problems.
NOBODY in my area of 40 miles, and for close to 2yrs, have had CCI Mini Mag in stock.
I have plenty of bulk/other ammo--Remington 333 pack, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester, Federal, and in my 10/22's they nose-jam on feed ramp or bent casings hanging up the bolt as it catches on ramp lip edge. It's not the Gun's fault, they work perfect, it's the ammo.
I can shoot all this ammo in my bolt action Savage AXIS 22LR, but it doesn't group well repeatedly. I had all this ammo long before the panic came along as ammo testing for most accurate ammo for my 22s and this is where I found problems with using in my Semiautos.

I'm not worried about whether I find 22lr(got plenty of 22Magnum also), as I have a good supply, but the 17HMR gave me another choice in ammo, as it's available in my area and I've had the Rifle for over a couple years as a hunting alternative over the cheaper shooting 22LR.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1604 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 557

[quote=Triumphman;1589580]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
No trouble buying 22LR ammo the past 6 weeks, between A Regional Gun show, and Big 5, we picked up 3 small bricks(at the gun show-225 Remington Golden Bullets, and Winchester WB 2-222's last week at Big 5..ya just gotta look around.

For those who live in Cities or very close by, you have many more choices of stores/gun shows where they sell ammo.
I live 20 miles from nearest towns that sell ammo and am limited to what they get in stock, and when I do get to town for groceries/farm parts, Ammo is already sold out long before I get there.
All my Rifles shoot CCI Mini Mags the most accurate. I can find ammo, BUT not good ammo that won't jam on feed ramp, short stroke or other problems.
NOBODY in my area of 40 miles, and for close to 2yrs, have had CCI Mini Mag in stock.
I have plenty of bulk/other ammo--Remington 333 pack, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester, Federal, and in my 10/22's they nose-jam on feed ramp or bent casings hanging up the bolt as it catches on ramp lip edge. It's not the Gun's fault, they work perfect, it's the ammo.
I can shoot all this ammo in my bolt action Savage AXIS 22LR, but it doesn't group well repeatedly. I had all this ammo long before the panic came along as ammo testing for most accurate ammo for my 22s and this is where I found problems with using in my Semiautos.

I'm not worried about whether I find 22lr(got plenty of 22Magnum also), as I have a good supply, but the 17HMR gave me another choice in ammo, as it's available in my area and I've had the Rifle for over a couple years as a hunting alternative over the cheaper shooting 22LR.
If your 10/22 won't shoot bulk ammo you need to send it to a gunsmith. Every 10/22 I have seen and I have seen a lot of 10/22's in action ate bulk ammo like a sumo wrestler eats sushi.

I would try some CCI standard velocity ammo. If the bullet lube doesn't free up your 10/22 it is broken or you need to remove any aftermarket parts you have put on it.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

limbkiller Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I remember when a 50 round box of 22lr was 50 cents for the good stuff. I also remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon, bread was 10 cents a loaf and 2 packs of cigarettes were a quarter. You could order a firearm from Sears or other mail order businesses and it would be delivered by the US Postal Service with no damn forms to fill out. Damn, I'm old.
Yep, I remember the 50 cents box of 22lr, I remember getting a box at a gas station for that price and I was probably under 16 years old. Yeah, I'm old, only in years though. Going for 72 in four months.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #25

Likes Given: 46

The lack of 22LR availability and/or reasonable prices has caused me to alter my shooting habits for sure. I like many others bought bricks on line when on sale prior to the shortage so am pretty well set for now.

I do however think when its gone it will be hard to replace so have dramatically slowed comsumption. I refuse to pay more than $5 for 50 rds so...

I reload all centerfire that I shoot. So my family now shoot my low recoil 9mm loads. Pretty cheap and available whenever I choose. (have had to buy in advance on powder and primers too but again good prices).

I truly hope this crazy hording and gouging stops soon.

OG03

Last edited by Oldgoat03; 06-13-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo and clairification

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #26

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

I've got around 2,000 rounds of 22LR saved up. Haven't bought any in months. Been buying some 38 special when I see it so I can take my Marlin 357 and have some plinking fun. I just try to buy a box of whatever deal is good when I see it, and let the chips fall where they may. I recently acquired 1,100 rounds of 45 ACP so I should be good there for a while. 😜

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #27

Liked 922 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 673

I don't care what the price is as my grandson is going to shoot a .22 if he wants. When the other two grandsons get old enough I'll pay the price. Do I like paying the high prices? NO but this little feller likes to shoot and he will.

USMC 74-78

People Like This 
Old 06-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #28
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3171 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default A change of Caliber---who needs a 22 anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
I don't care what the price is as my grandson is going to shoot a .22 if he wants. When the other two grandsons get old enough I'll pay the price. Do I like paying the high prices? NO but this little feller likes to shoot and he will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QMge0LHhSY&index=1&list=HL1402775469

Good Age to Ge Em going Limbkiller!! He looks(to me) like he's "made" to shoot that SA you have him on there. Also good to "hear" you Coaching Him on the AR...He's a lefty as well!! guess when he graduates to larger calibers you'll make him a lefty Bolt Gun too!!;-)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #29

Liked 922 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 673

He has already been shooting some. Here are a few picks of last year right after he turned 7.

USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 06-14-2014 at 11:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1604 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Hell with the pasties, lets keep shooting!

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato