Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   A change of Caliber---who needs a 22 anyway (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/change-caliber-who-needs-22-anyway-107623/)

Triumphman 06-07-2014 06:05 AM

A change of Caliber---who needs a 22 anyway

With the shortfall of finding 22lr regularly on any shelf, I've decided months back to let dust settle on ALL of my 22LR Rifles.

Don't get me wrong, I love my little 22's and I'm not selling or giving them up. I do have some bulk 22lr to get me through for next few years, I'm just doing what comes natural with a hunter/plinker/target shooter. I'm going to a different caliber to get my enjoyment and save what can't be found easily in the area. I'm not standing in any lines just to get some crap 22LR.

I'm finding boatloads of 17HMR everywhere I turn, and I've got the gun for it. It's a little Marlin VRX 17HMR and with a BSA Sweet 17(3-12x40AO) it's quite deadly. Dropped quite a few Squirrels, Coons, Groundhog with it so far. I'd use it on Deer if my State allowed it. For such a small bullet, it really packs a punch---close and at distance.

I've been grabbing a couple 50rd packs each time I go to town.
This way I've put the brakes on all the "neckbeards" who think I need their overpriced 22.

So who else has changed calibers, temporarily or permanently, so as to keep enjoying pulling the trigger when you want?

BRL 06-07-2014 06:53 AM

I went to my pellet rifle for some inexpensive plinking fun without having the hassle of trying to acquire some overpriced and difficult to locate .22LR ammo.

Still lots of fun! :)

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/...10/th_0142.jpg

godale 06-08-2014 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
been shooting my savage 17 hmr for 2 years now. 22s collecting dust. it too has a bsa 3x12x40 scope on it

clr8ter 06-08-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

I'm finding boatloads of 17HMR everywhere I turn, and I've got the gun for it.
Huh. Around here, anything rimfire is in short supply. I have not seen a box of 22 mag for sale in about 18 months. LR is spotty, at best, same with HMR, and I have never laid eyes on a box of 17 WSM. Right now, the only things at (somewhat) reasonable prices and in good supply is 9, 40, & 5.56.

Fortunately, with the amount I shoot, my 5-800 rounds each of the rim fires I shoot will last me a few years.

DrFootball 06-08-2014 01:24 PM

Been shooting 9MM, 38Spl., 45LC, and .410 bore, and 20Ga. All have been easy to get as well as 40S&W now, 38+P/.357, .45ACP( a little), 12Ga. 9 MM+P, just laying off the 3 Rifle Catagories I have(.223/5.56, .30-06, and .308/7.62),. And shooting less 22. I've also considered one of the .17's...
I've got some Extra PMC Bronze and Silver in different calibers from the first batch of Ammo I bought as an Arizonian,..starting to shoot that to save newer Ammo bought in the last 12-18 months. I never shoot more then a few rounds of HD/SD Ammo per Caliber/Gun each time out. Still,..If I only shoot half of what I bring Each trip, I can still get a hernia carrying it back out to the car and home. For the first Yr. We were here I just only Shot 9, and some of the 22. Then we decided not to leave all the older guns home anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

wknight40 06-08-2014 01:24 PM

Wanting a .22 myself but as mentioned it is hard to find. Been looking at some high powered BB/Pellet guns in the same price range. Quieter and just as deadly.

DrFootball 06-08-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wknight40 (Post 1587435)
Wanting a .22 myself but as mentioned it is hard to find. Been looking at some high powered BB/Pellet guns in the same price range. Quieter and just as deadly.

There is a new Umarex out that I'd love, as well as the new Gamo,...for the occasional Rodent or Snake...but here we can use a 22LR or 22Mag. In our yards if confronted with a pest, according to our County's administrative dep. Undersheriff. I had to take out a Gray Baby King Snake the first month we were here.....I still have a colony of Gecko's here,..the entire sub section does,..about 20 homes on 4 Streets,..and none of them talk or tell jokes...one once jumped off a tree onto Gator by accident and then jumped off his back and ran up and over an 8.5ft Dividing wall before being caught and eaten for a snack..

DrFootball 06-08-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wknight40 (Post 1587435)

The guns aren't hard to find. It's just new models aren't cheap any more. For the most part the $125 22 is gone...unless it's used. Right around $200 gets you a new Basic 10/22., $240-$260 with a different finish,..and it goes up from there. Many vendors are giving ammo with the purchases. Mossberg is running a promo( or was) on any of there 22LR Semi's, 300 Rds. Of CCI Mini-Mag RN's and on the 715 series it was 300 CCI AR Tactical...decide what you want and go from there. Shoot a 22 Match this season so the sub-set of the sport grows and more folks offer Steel 22 shoots as well as Bullseye. Buy,..but be wise...

Overkill0084 06-08-2014 02:53 PM

.177, .20, & .22
I've been putting all the old airguns to use more than usual.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/a..._165045-1-.jpg

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/a..._165008-1-.jpg

JTJ 06-08-2014 04:53 PM

I have plenty of 22lr but have not been able to get out to the outdoor shooting range much. Have to go in the morning or it is too hot and my mornings have been busy. I have been going to the indoor range some in the afternoon but usually dont shoot more than 50-100 rounds. I cant shoot reactive targets at the indoor range. I have a range pass so it is affordable. 9mm and 223 are as cheap or cheaper than 22 mag or 17hmr and I can reload them. I would like to have a 9mm carbine and have been looking for a Kel Tec Sub 2000 with Beretta mags at a decent price. The Beretta CX4 is nice but too pricey. I have been shooting my Mini 14 playing with different sights but I really need the outdoor range for that.
I do shoot my 22 cal pellet rifle in the garage. I have 10 yards and a good bullet trap.