Cant decide on a setup
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Cant decide on a setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Cant decide on a setup

Ok heres my situation I really want a tiger 10/22 but I can't chose between tactical for SHTF or practical for varmints so I would like to know if you had 600$ one setup and 600$ for the other what would it the be and be specific

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

1st of all I dont see a 22lr as being a tactical weapon. If it is all you have, use it. It is a great hunter though. While it is not the best hunting rifle around, it will work exceedingly well in a survival situation. Ammo is light, relatively quiet and will take larger animals with good shot placement. Wont destroy a lot of meat on smaller animals with proper shot placement. I have 2 10-22's in stock form and either one is capable of a head shot on a squirrel at 50 yards. One has a red dot and one has a 2.5x scope. I have 25 rnd mags for them. I also have a bolt action 22lr that is very accurate and a Remington pump that is also very accurate.
My wife just won a S&W MP22 that she likes. The stock adjusts for her and it is light. I have not done any target work with it but I equipped it with a laser and a red dot. At 21' it looked pretty nasty. In a close encounter someone might take it for an AR. I keep it in the closet for her with 20 rnds in the mag. She is having some eye problems right now and is not doing too well with the pistol. She is pretty deadly with the laser and 20 rnds of 38gr HP ammo is better than missing with her 9mm. The mag holds 25 but I dont like keeping it full. I am looking at putting a laser on her pistol although she likes the carbine better. Might have to get a 9mm carbine.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If your going for a 9mm carbine I can not speak highly enough about the kel-tech sub-2000

Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

And I do have an Ar-15 but want something is fun to shoot and looks tactical and the other for Varmint control and things like that

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

I bought a used basic 10/22 this week. Try and find a nice used 10/22 as all you really want off of it is the receiver. I am adding a EA Brown bull barrel, a Timney trigger and putting it on a EA brown compsite "adult" sized stock. The gun was $180, barrel was $170, trigger was $160, stock was $49 = $559. The barrel is already threaded and capped for a suppressor which should be here in the next few weeks. All in all a great little project gun and well within your budget.

The gun will be both tactical and practical. The .22 is an excellent protection round when used correctly. The military and law enforcement around the world still use it today for tactical situations. Put on a bipod and a sling and you can whack just about anything. I have clients that take coyotes and bobcats with a .22.

- Craig

Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

If you want the tactical look, the MP 22 comes apart just like the AR and the controls are the same. It is pretty much all plastic though. The one thing I dont like about the 10-22 is having to take the stock off the clean it. You can get a 10-22 for about $200, a trigger job from Bear for $60 and a stock for about $100 or less. Add some 25 rnd mags and you are set. I found that a heavy barrel was not worth the expense for the type of shooting I was doing. You could probably find an MP22 for around $400 or the heavy barrel version for a little more. I paid $20 for a 2nd 25 rnd mag. There are several other AR style rifles out there. We have put a couple hundred rounds through her MP22 testing it for function. No jams with Mini Mags, American Eagle or Aguila Extra. I had a jam with CCI Velocitors. There is a definite difference in recoil with the Velocitors. We were shooting at short range standing so I cant tell you about accuracy but it did look pretty good. My 10-22's are more finicky and like Mini Mags.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #7

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

I'm not sure what a tactical .22 is. If you can shoot vermin at 50 yards, that is practical. 75 yards is outstanding, 100 yards is about as good as it gets. We are talking small vermin. CCI Mini mags always shoot well, my marlin 60 likes Hyper velosity Aguila and velositers. My little guys 69 trainer shoots everything well, but it is a bolt action. Having a cool looking rifle that is not a tack driver is not worth the $ you put into it. I'd buy a stock 10/22 before a modified one.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #8

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

What is a tactical 10/22 with lots of 25 round magazine? Nothing more than a smaller scale version of an AR15 or AK47 type of weapon. They're just a "Spray and Pray" weapon that everybody likes. They can be made to shoot very well with the right setup of fixed low power scope, bipod, and taking your time with the trigger pull, BUT if you just keep pulling the trigger without any thought of how you're gonna hit the target, they're all the same. You can get a good little 10/22 used for around $125 and put on the shortest 16-1/2" bull barrel for $150, along with a tactical folding style butt stock at $200, with a trigger job for $75 and a polymer bolt slide buffer pin(protects receiver hole from elongating) for $5 and a little shotgun scope for extended eye relief at $100, or a Red Dot scope for less than $75, and a one piece picannay rail for $25, and you know you want to throw on a tactical light and lazer, and you have a very nice capable weapon that'll last for years and offer great home protection, plus give a little WOW factor. Also remember that you can also get a used 10/22 with bull barrel for maybe less than $175 and just cut off barrel to legal length and you already saved money.
Del

Old 10-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

Tactical is a name given to black guns that look cool. Some associate it with AR-style weapons while others associate it with a sniper rifle. You can rig a 10/22 to appear similar to either style. As I described in my previous post, mine will look more like a sniper rifle in all black.

Really either style is fun to shoot and still have a great gun for varmints.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #10

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

OK, so you dump money down a pit to make it look "cool"? I understand w/ tactical means today, but This is not tactical IMHO, it is not a .22.

This, and these where tactical weapons:

Why, because the were use as part of a doctrine, not looks.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.