Can you clue me in to your firing "habits"? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Can you clue me in to your firing "habits"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tube fed definately loads faster than detachable magazines. The benefit of a magazine is that you can have many meaning the effective reload time is much faster for a magazine fed if you have to shoot fast.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

i prefer mag feed to tube fed. with mag feed i can drop the mag pop the round out of the chamber weapon clear. tube fed its a bit of a hassle.

mag fed i find easier to load than tube fumbling around trying to orient the rounds and drop them into the tube instead of the ground. gotta hold the gun upside down or up with your hand or head over the muzzle or balance it in an awkward orientation to load.

mag feed is easier to clear jams. tube feed ive had to do a dissassembly at times to clear jams.

ive had both kinds over the years and i have never regreted getting rid of the tube feed rifles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I was raised shooting Marlin 60s. I currently have a Winchester 9422M and a Browning pump action .22. All tube fed. I have magazine fed rifles as well, and enjoy shooting them all.

On a hot day at the range, the tube fed rifles can get a bit warm to the touch during reloads if you are putting a lot of rounds down range. While the same can be said for mag feds, loading without touching the barrel is easier. However, I agree that tube fed rifles are much easier to load, and quicker than loading a magazine. I'm confident that starting with ammunition in a box, a person can load and fire 50 rounds through a tube fed rifle much faster than they can through a magazine fed rifle. In essence, the reload speed with mag fed rifles comes from time spent prior to shooting.

My personal opinion is that both have advantages, and you should just decide what is right for you.

Oh, you mentioned teaching your wife to shoot. If you take her to one of the Appleseed Project shoots, my understanding is that a magazine fed rifle does much better for their shooting events, which are modeled after military courses of fire, with reloads occurring during the course.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If you are familiar with the operation of the M16, you should check out the S&W M&P22. It will feel like old home week.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
If you are familiar with the operation of the M16, you should check out the S&W M&P22. It will feel like old home week.
You know I have to say I have handled one and I just may have to get one so that I am not slinging filthy 22lr down my nice SS match grade barrel.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I go both ways, they each have their place.

10-22_12.jpg   rem-512_015.jpg  

Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You know I have to say I have handled one and I just may have to get one so that I am not slinging filthy 22lr down my nice SS match grade barrel.
S&W says the M&P22 has a match grade barrel, but I only shot up the dez with one last week. It did keep every round on an 8" popper at 50 yards offhand as fast as I could fire it.

I am picking one up later this month and will see how it does on paper at the range. It may end up allowing me to thin the herd a bit and sell the 10/22 and TC Classic.

I love that it works exactly the same as an AR, and is the same size.

Very few guns excite me any more, but the M&P22 was one of those that did.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #18

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the additional feedback, all.

I like the look of that M&P22m, though it's out of my price range for a while. My "fun money" fund is only $200/month, and I split the funds between hockey, wargaming, and pewter scrapping/casting. Something to save up for, though.

I'm still on the fence. The MOssberg 151 MB has a stock-located tube mag, so that would probably help with heat issues.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Can you get a 22lr hot enough to worry about barrel heat. YOUR THE MAN.....

I bump fire my neos 20 rounds at a time and I can't get the barrel that hot.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #20

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've shot only tube fed .22's. I don't have anything to complain about. When I first got the Marlin 60 at 14 years old or so, I liked having such a big load of rounds to pop off. Shooting a brick of shells in a short time was common then at $5.00 a brick. I have a tube fed lever action, no problems, butt stock fed Nylon 66 no problems, and a Winnie 30-30, again, no problems.
Both magazine fed and tube fed are reliable, just different. Have fun with whatever you get.