Calling all Rem 597 owners!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Calling all Rem 597 owners!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Default Calling all Rem 597 owners!

I finally got a chance to site in my new Rem 597 this weekend. Really love the way it feels and shoots. I'll do single hole groups at 50 yrds if I can keep it steady enough. I was pressed for time so I put about 100 Rds of federal bulk through it. Had one FTF due to the follower hanging up in the mag. Otherwise awesome. I know this seems to be a 10/22 and 795 dominated forum but are there any other 597 guys out there?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have a Remington 597 .22LR. I am quite pleased with it. I would say that it is on par with the Marlin 795 and the Remington 10/22. Of course, each has features that some may value more than others, for example, I've found my 795 to be the most reliable and accurate .22LR semi-auto I've ever shot. Over 3000 rounds without a single failure with more consistent groups than any other. I don't own a 10/22 but I've shot one several times, still accurate and reliable, but the 10/22's strength is flexibility, there are more ways to customize a 10/22 than I can count, you can make it into the perfect semi-auto .22LR to fit your use case.

Back to the Remington 597. I was considering another Marlin, maybe a model 60 or 70PSS, I wanted something similar to my 795 but I wanted to leave it with iron sights, stock sights even. Mainly to teach my boys the basics, but still have something that is a little bit fun. It works, I zeroed it on the 50 yard target at the range and put 100 rounds through the same half dollar sized hole, sure, there were a few flyers, but that wasn't the fault of the 597 . At 100 yards, the out of the box iron sights make it a little harder to aim for the same spot but I still felt that it was quite accurate (I should try it with a scope).

I have had a couple of rounds fail to feed, the previous round's shell will eject, the bolt will close, but no round in the chamber, I really don't like that in a rimfire because I was always taught not to dry fire them, but that is what ends up happening. I haven't quite figured out what the cause could be, it seemed to happen to the 9th round, after firing the 8th round, so my suspicion is that it is magazine related, but I'm open to suggestions. I have more magazines on order, but I have no idea when or if they will arrive.

On Magazines, the Remington 30 round magazines review much better than the after market 30 round magazines for the Marlin 795. The Rugers still seem to be the best though. With my boys, I prefer 10 rounds at a time, give them a chance to look at their targets, take a breather, then fire 10 more.

So, why choose a Remington 597 over a Ruger 10/22. Well, its up to you, I think that it is slightly better out of the box for my use case. I'm the kind of person that can't leave things alone, if I got a Ruger 10/22, it would become a project gun, but I'm busy, so I didn't want to be tempted with projects. The 597 has aftermarket accessories, but there aren't 1000 videos on youtube about it. So if you want something good right out of the box, the 597 is for you.

I have fewer good reasons for choosing the Remington 597 over the Marlin 795. The 30 round magazines could be one. They seem to be easier to find right now. I suppose brand loyalty, you have a nice Remington 700 rifle with an 870 shotgun in the safe already. Maybe your dad gave you an old Remington 121 pump action for your 13th birthday and you want to do the same for your son with something just a little more modern.

To sum it up, I really like the Remington 597 semi-automatic .22LR rifle. It'll be great for shooting paper at the range to hunting small game. If you are considering a semi-auto 22, this should be on your list, if that is the one you can find in stock somewhere, buy it.

J

Last edited by JosephMD; 02-14-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: left out a word

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

My buddy bought one. The 1st time out it stopped ejecting the spent cases after 30 or so rounds. Ends up the extracter left w/ a spent case. He was not happy. Remington would repair it at his dime on shipping, He had a local Smith install one for $15.00, sold it the next day. I'd pass on one.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD
I have a Remington 597 .22LR. I am quite pleased with it. I would say that it is on par with the Marlin 795 and the Remington 10/22. Of course, each has features that some may value more than others, for example, I've found my 795 to be the most reliable and accurate .22LR semi-auto I've ever shot. Over 3000 rounds without a single failure with more consistent groups than any other. I don't own a 10/22 but I've shot one several times, still accurate and reliable, but the 10/22's strength is flexibility, there are more ways to customize a 10/22 than I can count, you can make it into the perfect semi-auto .22LR to fit your use case.

Back to the Remington 597. I was considering another Marlin, maybe a model 60 or 70PSS, I wanted something similar to my 795 but I wanted to leave it with iron sights, stock sights even. Mainly to teach my boys the basics, but still have something that is a little bit fun. It works, I zeroed it on the 50 yard target at the range and put 100 rounds through the same half dollar sized hole, sure, there were a few flyers, but that wasn't the fault of the 597 . At 100 yards, the out of the box iron sights make it a little harder to aim for the same spot but I still felt that it was quite accurate (I should try it with a scope).

I have had a couple of rounds fail to feed, the previous round's shell will eject, the bolt will close, but no round in the chamber, I really don't like that in a rimfire because I was always taught not to dry fire them, but that is what ends up happening. I haven't quite figured out what the cause could be, it seemed to happen to the 9th round, after firing the 8th round, so my suspicion is that it is magazine related, but I'm open to suggestions. I have more magazines on order, but I have no idea when or if they will arrive.

On Magazines, the Remington 30 round magazines review much better than the after market 30 round magazines for the Marlin 795. The Rugers still seem to be the best though. With my boys, I prefer 10 rounds at a time, give them a chance to look at their targets, take a breather, then fire 10 more.

So, why choose a Remington 597 over a Ruger 10/22. Well, its up to you, I think that it is slightly better out of the box for my use case. I'm the kind of person that can't leave things alone, if I got a Ruger 10/22, it would become a project gun, but I'm busy, so I didn't want to be tempted with projects. The 597 has aftermarket accessories, but there aren't 1000 videos on youtube about it. So if you want something good right out of the box, the 597 is for you.

I have fewer good reasons for choosing the Remington 597 over the Marlin 795. The 30 round magazines could be one. They seem to be easier to find right now. I suppose brand loyalty, you have a nice Remington 700 rifle with an 870 shotgun in the safe already. Maybe your dad gave you an old Remington 121 pump action for your 13th birthday and you want to do the same for your son with something just a little more modern.

To sum it up, I really like the Remington 597 semi-automatic .22LR rifle. It'll be great for shooting paper at the range to hunting small game. If you are considering a semi-auto 22, this should be on your list, if that is the one you can find in stock somewhere, buy it.

J

image-3502771406.jpg

My modified Remington 597

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I love mine, mags are easily available Remington mags and pro mags are in stock here.
http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/c-2017-rifle-parts.aspx?selection=897422+897468

Plain old 597 with a browning buckmark red dot I bought yesterday.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraROCK View Post
Attachment 101708

My modified Remington 597
NICE! How difficult was it attaching the stock?
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not a chore at all. Comes all pre-drilled and fitted from "Rhineland Arms" out of Texas. Just had to apply the finish, and track down a Butler Creek folding metal stock, pirated from an aftermarket Ruger 10/22 tactical replacement, and any AR15 pistol grip. I also added a synthetic flash hider, actually also made for the Ruger, that was routed out to fit the larger diameter 597 barrel. Fit and finish was quite good!

Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #8

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just put an archangel kit on mine and a utg red dot!