Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   building a 10/22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/building-10-22-a-10243/)

Jdrawdy 01-23-2009 09:35 PM

building a 10/22

I am wanting to build a 10/22 with a 17m2 conversion. I am probably going to use a boyd stock and a carbon barrel. Will it be necessary to bed the barrel or will it be just as accurate if it free floats?

stalkingbear 01-24-2009 02:21 AM

if you are using lightweight barrel, bed action & the 1st couple inches of barrel. The Boyds stocks are machine inletted-that means for best results, it needs to be action bedded.

cpttango30 01-24-2009 11:35 AM

Best bet would be to buy a cheaper more accurate rifle to begin with.

Sorry I have to say that everytime I post in a 10/22 thread. I can't stand a10/22 really. I would rather have an old remington or mossy 22lr. cheaper and more accurate to boot.

You can take some extra material from around the action and bed it reall well then free float the barrel. To free float the barrel the best you are going to need two action screwes I am not sure if the 10/2puke has this as the last time I owned one was some 15 or 20 years ago.

stalkingbear 01-24-2009 12:08 PM

I have gained a lot of respect for you through your good, well informed posts, but we'll have to disagree on Ruger 10/22s (I'm actually shocked you continue to hate 10/22s when you havn't had 1 for "15-20 years") as IMO they're the MOST reliable .22 semi-auto rifle of all time, and I LOVE to watch people's faces when I beat them mercilessly on the bags at the range with my "lowly inaccurate 10/22s.:D Just yesterday I was shooting my latest 10/22 build and got 10 shot .252 to .312 groups at 50 yards with match grade hand selected ammo.

And YES I'd be DELIGHTED to back up the accuracy level posted on my personal firearms ANYTIME-just cmon down to my shop with the range right behind and I might even let the doubter shoot my "ol homemade guns" IF they ask right. The proof is in the watching 1st hand. Anybody COULD (NOT saying anybody does) shoot a group at 10 yards and claim it's 50 or 100 yards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 65087)
Best bet would be to buy a cheaper more accurate rifle to begin with.

Sorry I have to say that everytime I post in a 10/22 thread. I can't stand a10/22 really. I would rather have an old remington or mossy 22lr. cheaper and more accurate to boot.

You can take some extra material from around the action and bed it reall well then free float the barrel. To free float the barrel the best you are going to need two action screwes I am not sure if the 10/2puke has this as the last time I owned one was some 15 or 20 years ago.

rugermike 01-24-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 65092)
I have gained a lot of respect for you through your good, well informed posts, but we'll have to disagree on Ruger 10/22s (I'm actually shocked you continue to hate 10/22s when you havn't had 1 for "15-20 years") as IMO they're the MOST reliable .22 semi-auto rifle of all time, and I LOVE to watch people's faces when I beat them mercilessly on the bags at the range with my "lowly inaccurate 10/22s.:D Just yesterday I was shooting my latest 10/22 build and got 10 shot .252 to .312 groups at 50 yards with match grade hand selected ammo.

And YES I'd be DELIGHTED to back up the accuracy level posted on my personal firearms ANYTIME-just cmon down to my shop with the range right behind and I might even let the doubter shoot my "ol homemade guns" IF they ask right. The proof is in the watching 1st hand. Anybody COULD (NOT saying anybody does) shoot a group at 10 yards and claim it's 50 or 100 yards.

Wow! Don't like a Ruger 10/22? That is rare indeed.
I have one of the first year made rifles and I have relieved several proud owners of custom and target model 22's of some green backs. Not all mind you, but more often than not my little 10/22 stock, but with a complete trigger job, will shoot with the best of them.
I've seen some guys knock Rugers no matter what the firearm and I for one believe that with the right touch that they are some of the best shooting arms made, Again just my opinion.

Just for the record I'm not a Winchester fan, from my experiences.

tuck2 01-24-2009 12:41 PM

A few years ago I purchased a Ruger 10-22 T rifle. It is model with the heavy barrel and varmint stock. I tuned up the trigger and got a heavy thumb hole stock for it. I glass bedded the action area of the stock and free floated the barrel. The Ruger is as accurate as my Anschutz Mdl 1710 Mistergrad 22 LR.. I have read at RFC Home that some conversions of the 10-22 to the 17 HM2 round were having problems. The barrel pressure curve of the 17 HM2 round is much different than the 22 LR round.

rugermike 01-24-2009 01:50 PM

The charging handle has to be replaced with a heavier version to cycle the 17mach 2 round conversion from a standard 22.
E. Arther Brown Co., INC at E. Arthur Brown Company - Home Page has probably the best resources for conversion kits such as you are looking to do.

cpttango30 01-25-2009 04:09 PM

I am just not one to follow the masses. I would rather have a good old bolt gun than a semi-auto I don't care about aftermarket parts other than a scope and mounts.

This is the reason I don't have an AR-15 YET.

Ok So your going to go and buy a 10/22 at $250 that is the going price I see. Then you want a new barrel now you have to buy a new stock to fit that new .920" barrel.

10/22 $250
Barrel $150
Stock $150

Total $550

for a rifle that may or may not shoot as good as my $100 parts gun. That prints 3/4" 5 shot 100 yards groups with Remington target ammo. I will stick with my $100 parts gun and spend the extra $450 on ammo.

Txhillbilly 01-26-2009 01:56 AM

cpttango30,Being that we live in the best place on earth,I respect your opinions about the 10/22. Anyone with some common sense knows that you can have a more accurate bolt action vs a semi auto. But there is no need expressing your 2cents about them over & over on every thread about them. I don't like Colt's (any they make),but I would never go to a thread about them and put them down,just to be posting. Give it a break!

big shrek 01-30-2009 05:19 AM

One of the guys at the Gun & Game forum did build a 10/22 in /17 and seems to be rather happy with it, he details the build from start to finish...might be worth a read :)

Gun and Game Forums

When ya get there, put ".17 10/22" into the search thingy and it'll bring up ALL related items.