Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Browning T-Bolt .17HMR issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Possibles- (You are not holding the gun close enuff to the computer for me to tell, and the crystal ball is in the shop for an oil change)

1. Crud/ lack of lube on FP
2. FP damaged
3. Chamber mouth has ding from FP. Burr can keep round from fully seating, will be driven forward by FP, may eat enuff of force to prevent ignition.
4. Headspace.

If you DO have a chamber mouth burr DO NOT REMOVE IT. Send me a PM- there is a technique to "iron" it back in place.
What are the chances any of these could be the case with a brand-new rifle?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

Sorry- thought you said a year old. If you have not been dry firing, skip #3. #4 possible, not likely. #1 and #2 possible.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #13

It is a year old, but I've been having the same problem since new. I've only now been ready to really address it.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Another thing you could try is take the bolt apart and stretch the firing pin spring. It's possible the spring is weak so I would try that before going to the trouble of sending it back to Browning.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #15

Thanks, Bear. Even someone with my limited abilities should be able to pull that off! I don't want to have to send it back if I don't have to, major PIA.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #16

I am hAving similar issues with a brand new T bolt in 17hmr. Took it to the range today to sight in the new scope. Out of the first 20 shots, I had 10 FTFs. I don't want to push the panic button as the gun is new, but that just isn't acceptable. When I pull the bolt back it doesn't look as if the round is fully seated in the chamber and the pressure from the next round in the clip is pushing it up so much as to not allow proper insertion . I forcefully push the bolt to rechamber round and get the expected bang. Has anyone else experienced this and could it be just the "new" needing to get worn off? New to the forum and any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonarider
I am hAving similar issues with a brand new T bolt in 17hmr. Took it to the range today to sight in the new scope. Out of the first 20 shots, I had 10 FTFs. I don't want to push the panic button as the gun is new, but that just isn't acceptable. When I pull the bolt back it doesn't look as if the round is fully seated in the chamber and the pressure from the next round in the clip is pushing it up so much as to not allow proper insertion . I forcefully push the bolt to rechamber round and get the expected bang. Has anyone else experienced this and could it be just the "new" needing to get worn off? New to the forum and any help would be appreciated.
I would clean it really well and try it again. If that doesn't help I would send it back

Old 05-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonarider View Post
I would call browning to get a return label emailed to you. They will fix your gun or send you a new one. It's just that simple.

I bought a Marlin XT 22MR. I tried to sight it in. It was shooting about a foot high with the sight as low as possible. In about 2 weeks I had a new Marlin that shoots great.

Browning has better customer support than Remlin.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #19

Just a quick update..... After 30 minutes on hold with Browning last week I talked with one of their tech guys who suggested trying another kind of ammo. I originally used Hornaday rounds which I have NEVER had problems with in any other rifle. I bought some CCI rounds and gave them a go today. Same results, @50% FTFs on both mags. I will talk to Browning again tomorrow with the intention of sending the rifle in for repair.