Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Browning T-Bolt .17HMR issues (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/browning-t-bolt-17hmr-issues-38682/)

lonyaeger 02-19-2011 03:40 PM

Browning T-Bolt .17HMR issues

I've had this rifle for about a year now. Out of every ten-round magazine, I have at least one FTF. The firing pin impression LOOKS to be about as deep on a misfire as on a good one, but it's hard to tell. This happens pretty much across the board with the three brands of ammo I've tried: Hornady, Winchester, and CCI.

Anyone have any ideas?

cpttango30 02-19-2011 04:27 PM

Does it happen with the same round all the time? Meaning it is the last round in the mag or the 3rd round in the mag ect....

You would think that will all the billions of rounds of rimfire ammo made and shot every year they could prefect the manufacturing process a little more.

Might also want to take a pair of calipers and measure the rim thickness on the misfires vs the ones that fire. I would measure before and after and see if their are any difference.

lonyaeger 02-19-2011 04:31 PM

Now that you mention, I don't think it's the same order every time, it's kind of random. I'll try measuring......what exactly do you think I need to measure?

Thanks, man! :)

Sniper03 02-19-2011 04:56 PM

Lon,

I have heard of this before somewhere on the Web. I think it was on one of the center-fire forums. If I remember in one case the gun had functioned flawlessly for a long period of time. Then he started having the problem. In this case he did an exceptional cleaning on the bolt and everywhere. I mean a white glove. He stated that the Browning has very good tolerance and anything could cause a problem if there was anywhere there was a buildup of materials. One other incident the guy found what looked like a worn or chipped firing pin and advised he though it was metallurgicaly defective from the factory. Another stated that his had a head space issue and it would fire sporadically from the time he got it our of the box. I believe it was once out of ten rounds. I certainly do not know the answer but just wanted to share the above with you. You stated it wasn't the magazine so that limits it to some of the above since you have used other ammunition. The one guy who had the head space problem switched ammunition like you have. His buddy had another 17HMR and all the ammunition he had worked fine in it.

cpttango30 02-19-2011 05:23 PM

I would just measure the rim thickness to see if there is any out of the ordinary difference between the ones that fired and the ones that didn't fire.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ntation1-3.jpg

Sniper03 02-19-2011 05:49 PM

Capt.

I agree with that! But man if that rifle is that sensitive if the rounds would fire in another 17HMR. I think it would find a new home in short order. That since he stated that it did not seem to matter what ammunition it is. That makes me believe the head space may be off some! What do you think? I have a little 917-V Marlin and shot several brands of ammunition with zero failures. If it is newer I would send it back to a Browning repair shop.

lonyaeger 02-19-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 448868)
Lon,

I have heard of this before somewhere on the Web. I think it was on one of the center-fire forums. If I remember in one case the gun had functioned flawlessly for a long period of time. Then he started having the problem. In this case he did an exceptional cleaning on the bolt and everywhere. I mean a white glove. He stated that the Browning has very good tolerance and anything could cause a problem if there was anywhere there was a buildup of materials. One other incident the guy found what looked like a worn or chipped firing pin and advised he though it was metallurgicaly defective from the factory. Another stated that his had a head space issue and it would fire sporadically from the time he got it our of the box. I believe it was once out of ten rounds. I certainly do not know the answer but just wanted to share the above with you. You stated it wasn't the magazine so that limits it to some of the above since you have used other ammunition. The one guy who had the head space problem switched ammunition like you have. His buddy had another 17HMR and all the ammunition he had worked fine in it.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. But it's been doing it since the gun was brand-new and still continues. I've finally gotten pi$$ed off enough to do something about it, cause you don't want that to happen when you're shooting at critters. Not as big a deal when your shooting at paper! Thanks.

lonyaeger 02-19-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a (Post 448877)
I would just measure the rim thickness to see if there is any out of the ordinary difference between the ones that fired and the ones that didn't fire.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ntation1-3.jpg

I'll start measuring, thanks again Tango.

cpttango30 02-19-2011 10:03 PM

No problem Lon let us know what happens.

c3shooter 02-20-2011 12:03 AM

Possibles- (You are not holding the gun close enuff to the computer for me to tell, and the crystal ball is in the shop for an oil change)

1. Crud/ lack of lube on FP
2. FP damaged
3. Chamber mouth has ding from FP. Burr can keep round from fully seating, will be driven forward by FP, may eat enuff of force to prevent ignition.
4. Headspace.

If you DO have a chamber mouth burr DO NOT REMOVE IT. Send me a PM- there is a technique to "iron" it back in place.