Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Browning BL 22 SN question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning BL 22 SN question

Any help on identifying the real year and make of this rifle would be much appreciated!

Browning BL 22 pictures by pwrslide2 - Photobucket

Just picked up a new gun at the recent gun show in Arizona. I guess you could call it new. It's "Supposedly" a year 1975 BL 22 Grade 2 and the guy that sold it to me said he has been collecting guns since the 70s and bought this and a few others of same time brand new. Same guy said it's never been shot and was stored away and from the looks of it, I believe it but I'm no expert. Came with the original Box and original Operation and Care Manual with the writing in it saying Date of purchase Dec 5th, 1975 and SN and $129.50!!!

This rifle was advertised as 1975 Grade II so that really got me excited. Never been shot was a bonus. From a little research that I did before I went to the show I knew that the older models were primarily made in the USA. This one has a made in Japan on the barrel but I was told some parts were made in Japan and then it was assembled in the USA.

The Serial Number is 47B46340.
Doesn't match up with Browning's website naming convention for any year.
Maybe the B is really an eight 8?
BL-22 Rifle

I've googled and came up with some other info but people seem to be confused as well and no real answers out there.

Quote:
GunBroker.com Message Forums - Browning BL-22 confusing serial
quote ""I am trying to date my Dad's Browning BL-22 .22 rifle. He can't remember when it was given to him by his employees (He thinks the early 70's). My brothers and I loved this rifle and now my father is generously giving it to my son on his 10th birthday. It is in excellent condition. My question is that the serial number is stamped on the bottom of the receiver at the front of the trigger guard(not the right side as Browning states). The serial # is 47B31889. The left side barrel is stamped BROWNING ARMS COMPANY MORGAN, UTAH & MONTREAL P.Q. (top row) and MADE IN JAPAN (bottom). I have read many differing opinions as to decoding this serial...The B means a Belgian built gun with the year of production precedeing it. This is not possible. The BL-22 wasn't produced anywhere in 1947. None of the numbers together make any year possible.""

Quote""According to the Blue Book, Miroku made the BL-22's in Japan between 1970 and 2003.
My take on your serial number question, is that "31889", is the actual serial number.
"B", is the product code, i.e. model/type of firearm.
"7", is the actual date of manufacturer 1977.
Don't have a clue what the "4" represents? ""
My rifle has very similar number as the first quote. The reply 2nd quote contridicts my possible 1975 purchase date although the box for mine could have been switched with another rifle. I don't think 47 means the year. In japan, they tend to write things backwards but even then, a 47 could really only mean April 1970 or they typo'd and meant 74 but the gun was "supposedly" bought on Dec 5th 1975. I wouldn't think they would have made 47,340 rifles in their 2nd year of production on this rifle though.

Definitely thinking I paid too much for this rifle now.. . Kinda bummin me out about my purchase!

Any help on identifying the real year and make of this rifle would be much appreciated!

Seems like quotes are popular around here. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" "Igonrance is not bliss"

Last edited by berny2435; 07-11-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #2

ha! found the owner of my rifle on Rimfire forums
Need help with BL22 serial number - RimfireCentral.com Forums

it's indeed a 1974 so they say. Never been shot too.

Seems like quotes are popular around here. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!!" "Igonrance is not bliss"

Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

Go here for the Browning serial number key...
22 Semi-Auto Rifle

dragonfly

Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Go here for the Browning serial number key...
22 Semi-Auto Rifle

dragonfly
That's for the Browning semi-auto rifle; his rifle is a lever-action.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #5

I believe the key applies to all browning weapons, or at least that is my understanding. Buck Marks use a similar key. DF

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbeetle View Post
I believe the key applies to all browning weapons, or at least that is my understanding. Buck Marks use a similar key. DF
Probably not something one wants to leave to chance though, right?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #7

Go to this web page:

This is the Browning page for dating the .22 LR
BL-22 Rifle

This is the Home Page for Browning: Browning North America's Official Web Site -- Firearms -- Rifles -- Over and Under Shotguns -- Guns

This should help you find the info you want. TB

Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

berny,
You did not pay too much for that gun.
charlie

Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #9

It definitely is one fine looking rifle. I could be enticed by one like that in a heart bear. TB

Old 05-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #10

Looking for information on a BLR 22 that has serial # stamped on the barrel instead of the Rec.. It was in the first lot of BLR's shipped from Japan and I was told that Browning had to recall those rifles and return them to Japan to be re stamped in the correct place on the Rec. I bought the rifle new at that time but have been unable to find any information about them since. I was told by the owner of the store that I bought it from that only 4 or 5 of the rifles were sold nationwide before the recall.