Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/browning-bl-22-fld-grade-ii-octagon-84974/)

da2357 02-23-2013 07:48 PM

Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon

Hello. I've been looking at all the lever-action .22LR rifles and am seriously considering the Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon. It will be used mostly for small-game like squirrels, gophers, rabbits. I'm curios to know what you think of this rifle.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=005B&cid=024&tid=105

GeneralPatton 02-23-2013 09:15 PM

It's definitely a nice rifle. Browning makes superior quality products. I guess it depends on what grade you are looking to purchase though. The new grade II has an msrp of almost $1000. That's alotta loot for a 22 level action. You can buy the lower grade ones used for roughly $400. Some of the higher grade ones even come with golden triggers

da2357 02-23-2013 09:44 PM

Yes, I know the price is in the $900-1000 range and yes, it IS a lot to pay for a .22LR. I'm hoping, though, that with the combo of it being a Grade 2 and octagon barrel that it'll be more reliable and last longer. I was thinking of putting. Redfield Revenge 4-12x42mm scope on it.

Do you think it'll (a) be a rifle that I'll want to keep for a long time and (b) be the rifle I reach for when I want to go small-game hunting?

da2357 02-24-2013 01:07 AM

I've seen in a different topic that a number of people like the Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22. So, another way to ask my question is why would I prefer a different rifle instead of the Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon?

sleeper 02-24-2013 12:25 PM

Marlin 795 = $149
Ruger 10/22 = $229
I think this is why most people would prefer these two models. They are good reliable rifles and a great value for the money. Have you considered one of the Henry lever actions? I have only read good things about them.

GeneralPatton 02-25-2013 12:01 AM

Henry does make some nice stuff. Somehow I got on their mailing list and they send me all the really nice catalogs and brochures from time to time.

At the end of the day, if you want something to become family heirloom then the Browning will definitely suit that need. Of course myself, I'd have a hard time taking a $1000 heirloom out in the woods hunting. But if you can be careful enough and take superb care of it, it would make a great family piece.

jpattersonnh 02-25-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton (Post 1150646)
It's definitely a nice rifle. Browning makes superior quality products. I guess it depends on what grade you are looking to purchase though. The new grade II has an msrp of almost $1000. That's alotta loot for a 22 level action. You can buy the lower grade ones used for roughly $400. Some of the higher grade ones even come with golden triggers

Got one! Nothing else comes close. A-Bolt Gold Medalion .22WMR. Made for less then 2 years. Just an awesome rifle!

HockaLouis 02-25-2013 12:46 AM

Will you keep it a while? One never sells their Brownings! Well, my BIL did a .44 but he's a fool. You can spend less but you cannot buy a finer .22 lever. It is hard-working quality and a gentleman's gun to be sure. If the money is not a particularly critical issue I would not hesitate, however, I will point out that the price probably doesn't provide quite as much return as you might expect -- it may be twice as much as a Marlin but only 1/3rd better, nicer, or whatever...

Curlyjoe_99 02-25-2013 04:40 PM

there was a time when a quality hunting rifle was 4 figures $$. that included the rifle, the mounts, scope and fitting of the action and smithing of the internals. Nowadays the manufacturing process has improved to the point that most new rifles are near 1moa out of the box and can easily be made to 1 MOA by the owner. the 22 versions are just as precise.

IMHO, Brownings are among the top of the manufacturing process and I've seen owners of them put the rifle or shotguns through their paces and in some nasty weather. Owning a well made weapon that needs little modifications is always a treat. I

As others have stated, if $$ is not a hindrance, go for the rifle that YOU WANT and bugger all of our opinions :D as I have no knowledge of a bad browning weapon

da2357 02-26-2013 12:51 AM

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. I'm going ahead with the Browning BL-22 FLD Grade II Octagon and I'll report back on it. I'm looking forward to getting it and getting it out in the field.