Browning 22 semi auto rifle feed problem - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Browning 22 semi auto rifle feed problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
Make sure that the cartridge stop is still in the rifle. It's pretty common for them to fall out and NOT be noticed when the trigger mech. is removed. If it is not there you will have all kinds of feeding jams. Also check your ammo. These rifles do NOT work well with Hollow Point ammo.
Well, the ammunition in question is hollow point. I'm not certain about the cartridge stop but I did take the trigger mechanism out. I'll try to check that out. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #12

Default Stock in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I learned this the hard way. They replaced the beautiful stock and foregrip with the cheap, plasticky-looking wood they're using on those rifles today.
That would upset me. I like the wood that is on this firearm...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #13

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomble View Post
That would upset me. I like the wood that is on this firearm...
It upset me, too. So I held on to the old wood, just for the sake of nostalgia and the memory of the man who gave me the rifle.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
It upset me, too. So I held on to the old wood, just for the sake of nostalgia and the memory of the man who gave me the rifle.
If they returned the old wood it would mitigate the situation somewhat. Was the wood part of the problem?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomble View Post
If they returned the old wood it would mitigate the situation somewhat. Was the wood part of the problem?
No, that wasn't the problem. The threaded end of the magazine tube had broken off in the receiver, probably due to old age. The rifle had been taken care of lovingly, so it wasn't a matter of mistreatment.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #16

Default Scratching head

Then unless there was a problem with the new tube fitting into the old stock I don't understand them changing the stock out. The magazine tube is not broken, at least not completely but it will turn perhaps a quarter inch in both directions. It will not unscrew (should it?) nor can I tighten it. So there is a little slack or wiggle room in the magazine tube but it is definitely still connected to the receiver.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The older rifles have a thinner magazine tube that is prone to breaking. There are also 3 different types of " OLDER TUBES". If you send your rifle to BrowninG in Arnold MO it can be upgraded to the " TYPE 5 " loading system which would include a much heaver magazine tube and modifying your stock to take the heavier tube and the parts that are needed to do so. I don't have any idea as to cost as I've been gone from there for a little over 11 years now. Hope this helps.
The old stock has to be modified to take the new and heavier mag. tube as it's to thick to fit into the old stock. We NEVER just replaced the wood unless it was broken and then that was the customers choice as the rifle was "QUOTED" before the work was done.

Last edited by Vearl Brown; 10-20-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #18

Wish I had known then what I know now, Vearl. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
The older rifles have a thinner magazine tube that is prone to breaking. There are also 3 different types of " OLDER TUBES". If you send your rifle to BrowninG in Arnold MO it can be upgraded to the " TYPE 5 " loading system which would include a much heaver magazine tube and modifying your stock to take the heavier tube and the parts that are needed to do so.
Thank you very much. I will look into sending the rifle to them.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #20

I have been shooting my wheel sight for about 50+ years and never had a problem with HPs or any other ammo that I can remember. But I do not shoot Remington bulk, and have not shot Remington period for many years. Federal, Winchester and CCI mini-mags do fine. There is a small piece in the top of the receiver that affects the feeding of ammo. Some like mine has a small spring that monitors the next shell for loading, Some newer ones were changed a little. Get a schematic or visit a smitty. Simple fix and only a few dollars. Don't send it to Browning unless you get assurances that anything changed out will be returned, and not to mess with the wood. I have never heard of what the previous poster described. I would raise havoc because I have a beautiful grain in my stock.