Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Browning 22 semi auto rifle feed problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning 22 semi auto rifle feed problem

I just obtained a Browning 22 semi-auto rifle. The gun had sat unfired for 10 years or more but was in excellent visual condition. I believe it to be Japanese manufactured during the 1970s. Anyway, it has problems feeding ammunition from the magazine. Sometimes it feeds sometimes it doesn't. The cartridges appear to be up too high for the bolt to engage them. On the other hand at times the cartridges seem to be interfering with the bolt travel to the rear. There is nothing obviously wrong and I'm a bit baffled and any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you load the rifle into a magazine tube through a hole in the stock?

Hey, BTW, you should stop by the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little about yourself. It's a great forum and lots of good fellow Texans are members!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

When you say magazine, is that removeable? If so, I would check the lips on the mag. It sounds like they are too wide (improper loading will defrom some .22lr mags)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

I think his post was just a drive-by.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Do you load the rifle into a magazine tube through a hole in the stock?

Hey, BTW, you should stop by the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little about yourself. It's a great forum and lots of good fellow Texans are members!
Yes, it loads through a tubular magazine through a hole in the stock. I apologize for not checking back sooner. I thought I was set to receive an email if anyone replied and I never got one. I'll have to check on that.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Did you clean it before shooting it? Sitting for 10 years is going to let some stuff get very sticky.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #7

Look through the feed hole in the stock as you turn the magazine tube with your fingers. As you do this, if you see the feed hole in the magazine tube rotating, it means the magazine tube has broken off in the receiver. Probably just due to age, because the strength of the threaded portion of the feed tube has been compromised.

This happened in mine, not through any kind of neglect or mistreatment, but because it is over fifty years old. Unless you have access to some machining equipment or a really good gunsmith, you'll probably have to send it off to Browning like I did. And they WON'T send it back in it's original state.

I learned this the hard way. They replaced the beautiful stock and foregrip with the cheap, plasticky-looking wood they're using on those rifles today.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
When you say magazine, is that removeable? If so, I would check the lips on the mag. It sounds like they are too wide (improper loading will defrom some .22lr mags)
It is a tubular magazine through the stock. I actually don't think the tubular magazine is the issue, there is short section in the receiver that the cartridges pass through just before the bolt feeds them into the chamber. I believe something is wrong between the bolt and the receiver.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

Default Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Did you clean it before shooting it? Sitting for 10 years is going to let some stuff get very sticky.
Yes, I cleaned it. Everything seems smooth as butter until you put ammunition in the mag. The bolt seems to be dragging on the cartridge case during the blow back.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Make sure that the cartridge stop is still in the rifle. It's pretty common for them to fall out and NOT be noticed when the trigger mech. is removed. If it is not there you will have all kinds of feeding jams. Also check your ammo. These rifles do NOT work well with Hollow Point ammo.
And if the ammo has been in the Mag. tube and removed the feeding problem will continue to get worse every time you reload it into the magazine---this is a PROVEN FACT !!!!

Last edited by Vearl Brown; 10-21-2010 at 07:18 PM.