Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Browning 22 semi auto rifle feed problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/browning-22-semi-auto-rifle-feed-problem-31332/)

bwomble 09-04-2010 08:43 PM

Browning 22 semi auto rifle feed problem

I just obtained a Browning 22 semi-auto rifle. The gun had sat unfired for 10 years or more but was in excellent visual condition. I believe it to be Japanese manufactured during the 1970s. Anyway, it has problems feeding ammunition from the magazine. Sometimes it feeds sometimes it doesn't. The cartridges appear to be up too high for the bolt to engage them. On the other hand at times the cartridges seem to be interfering with the bolt travel to the rear. There is nothing obviously wrong and I'm a bit baffled and any help would be appreciated.

lonyaeger 09-04-2010 09:31 PM

Do you load the rifle into a magazine tube through a hole in the stock?

Hey, BTW, you should stop by the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little about yourself. It's a great forum and lots of good fellow Texans are members!

danf_fl 09-06-2010 04:08 AM

When you say magazine, is that removeable? If so, I would check the lips on the mag. It sounds like they are too wide (improper loading will defrom some .22lr mags)

lonyaeger 09-06-2010 12:24 PM

I think his post was just a drive-by.

bwomble 09-22-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 344542)
Do you load the rifle into a magazine tube through a hole in the stock?

Hey, BTW, you should stop by the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little about yourself. It's a great forum and lots of good fellow Texans are members!

Yes, it loads through a tubular magazine through a hole in the stock. I apologize for not checking back sooner. I thought I was set to receive an email if anyone replied and I never got one. I'll have to check on that.

cpttango30 09-22-2010 05:58 PM

Did you clean it before shooting it? Sitting for 10 years is going to let some stuff get very sticky.

lonyaeger 09-22-2010 06:15 PM

Look through the feed hole in the stock as you turn the magazine tube with your fingers. As you do this, if you see the feed hole in the magazine tube rotating, it means the magazine tube has broken off in the receiver. Probably just due to age, because the strength of the threaded portion of the feed tube has been compromised.

This happened in mine, not through any kind of neglect or mistreatment, but because it is over fifty years old. Unless you have access to some machining equipment or a really good gunsmith, you'll probably have to send it off to Browning like I did. And they WON'T send it back in it's original state.

I learned this the hard way. They replaced the beautiful stock and foregrip with the cheap, plasticky-looking wood they're using on those rifles today.

bwomble 09-22-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 345258)
When you say magazine, is that removeable? If so, I would check the lips on the mag. It sounds like they are too wide (improper loading will defrom some .22lr mags)

It is a tubular magazine through the stock. I actually don't think the tubular magazine is the issue, there is short section in the receiver that the cartridges pass through just before the bolt feeds them into the chamber. I believe something is wrong between the bolt and the receiver.

bwomble 10-19-2010 06:53 PM

Clean

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 355523)
Did you clean it before shooting it? Sitting for 10 years is going to let some stuff get very sticky.

Yes, I cleaned it. Everything seems smooth as butter until you put ammunition in the mag. The bolt seems to be dragging on the cartridge case during the blow back.

Vearl Brown 10-19-2010 07:56 PM

Make sure that the cartridge stop is still in the rifle. It's pretty common for them to fall out and NOT be noticed when the trigger mech. is removed. If it is not there you will have all kinds of feeding jams. Also check your ammo. These rifles do NOT work well with Hollow Point ammo.
And if the ammo has been in the Mag. tube and removed the feeding problem will continue to get worse every time you reload it into the magazine---this is a PROVEN FACT !!!!