You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

BREAKING: S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles BANNED at Appleseed Events

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2345 Times on 1390 Posts
Likes Given: 5107

Default BREAKING: S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles BANNED at Appleseed Events

Found this article regarding the S&W 15-22. I have not fired mine in a few months, some of the ammo that they indicate they're using, S&W does not recommend. I fired Blazer CCI and Federal ammo.

I always clean and use only specific ammo.

This might be regarding the 2nd Generation of the 15-22.

BREAKING: S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles BANNED at Appleseed Events Due to Run Away and Out of Battery Firing

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/15/breaking-sw-mp-1522-rifles-banned-appleseed-events-due-run-away-battery-firing/

Quote:
It might be time to take a second look at your favorite .22 caliber AR-15 trainer rifle: Bearing Arms is reporting that organizers of the Appleseed Project marksmanship program have banned outright the use of Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 due to problems experienced in multiple instances with multiple rifles at Appleseed events. The full release will be replicated below, but in short some of the rifles appear to be having problems with their fire control groups, which can cause the weapons to fire repeatedly without the trigger being pressed, and cause them to fire when not in battery. This latter malfunction has apparently caused one injury and should be taken very seriously. The release from the Appleseed Project is below:

To: All Appleseed Instructors

Subject: TEMPORARY BAN ON SMITH & WESSON M&P 15/22 USE AT APPLESEED

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE USE OF SMITH AND WESSON M&P 15/22’S AT AN APPLESEED IS HEREBY BANNED UNTIL SMITH & WESSON FORMALLY INVESTIGATES THE PROBLEM AND ISSUES AN OFFICIAL CORRECTIVE ACTION. THE AOC WILL NOTIFY THE CADRE WHEN THIS BAN IS LIFTED.

The AOC has received a rash of reports regarding safety issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22, including a shooter getting injured as a result of an out-of-battery discharge (see reports below).

As responsible Instructors, we have a duty to maintain safety at our events. If we know a rifle to be potentially unsafe, we shouldn’t allow it on the line at all.

At this time the least risk course of action would be to exclude the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22 from future events until Smith & Wesson formally investigates the problem and issues an official corrective action.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2373 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 1724

'pears to be a situation that demands investigation by Smith and Wesson. I believe that the Appleseed project is proceeding as appropriate for this situation. I would suggest that ALL owners of the M&P 15/22 inspect their individual arms and contact S&W regarding further actions. This also might push them to hasten the inspection/investigation for this weapon.
I do not own one but I am responding as if one of my weapons were to be judged as causing injuries.

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17

Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 4066 Posts
Likes Given: 616

what i know of local appleseeds they are nanny types that duck and run at the slightest thing that challenges ruger 10/22's...

anyway you have four guns out of 10's of thousands that have 4 different failures.

3 of the failures are from oob firing. every 22lr semi auto has had instances of oob its the nature of rimfires in semi autos.

my opinion, its a nothing issue.

by their logic they should ban the ruger 10/22, ive experienced personally a great many more than 4 oob and runaways with 10/22's.

common sense and experience says dont stand next to a 22lr ejection port. appleseeders violate safety on a routine and sop mandated basis...

reason i dont do appleseeds is this...

BREAKING: S&W M&P 15/22 Rifles BANNED at Appleseed Events - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

shooting 22lr in such a fashion is designed to get someone seriously injured by an oob 22lr going pop.

so what is really dangerous?? an m&p 15-22 or the appleseeders themselves...??
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 10-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13217 Times on 6838 Posts
Likes Given: 12800

Ruger afficianados write the rules, Rugers win the matches.

Anyone else wins one, change the rules.

It worked in IPSC for Jeffie Cooper for many years.
People Like This