Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Brand new please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brand new please help

Ok so im turning 21 on oct 23 and can purchase my very first firearm. i made a thread in the revolver section cause i thought a revolver would be a awesome first fire arm with help from some great people they got me going towards a .22 rifle, My question is what should i get for my first rifle? Money is not a problem. I'm looking for something that i'll always have. i dont want to buy a rifle get used to it turn around and sell it for something with more power, i want a rifle that down the line when i got other guns and i am a experianced shooter ill still take my first .22 rifle out and still enjoy shooting it. Something i can pass down to my son one day and know it still is a great gun. So what would you guys recommend for me?

thanks alot for reading and helping someone brand new to the firearm hobby!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #2

I should of read other threads before posting, sorry for not doing so. As every is saying the Ruger 10-22 is a great gun. I looked at it and it looks like a awesome beginner gun and there are alot of upgrades as many of you know. my question now is what are the upgrades you guys would get for the Ruger 10-22? I like the pistol grip alot and i want a scope what would you guys recommend?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First, you are behind enemy lines in Kalifornication and I'm not sure, but I think pistol grips on rifles are a no-no on the lower worst-coast.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #4

What do you mean by im behind enemy lines in kalifoniacations? and how can i find out about the law for the pistol grip? i think i remember seeing a rifle pistol grip at my local turners but i could be wrong.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 AM   #5

Pistol grips on 10-22s are ok in California (I have 5 10-22s and most have pistol grips.) You can only have 10 round mags, but most everything else is a go. Enjoy!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want a fun 22 get a Henry. You will keep a long time.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #7

If you only want one gun, go bigger than a .22... if not, .22 is a good place to get your feet wet as far as learning some fire arms control and safety. I have M4s in 22 and 5.56. I will never get rid of the .22, its cheap and fun, but if I had to choose one, I would keep the 5.56

What canebrake meant, is that Cali has some of the most strict regulations in the U.S. on cool stuff, especially as far as firearms are concerned. In P.A. you can get rifles when your 18

Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If money is no option. I know exactly what 22lr I would buy...

Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle with a model 57 action chambered in 22lr. only $1755 with a AA+ Claro Walnut stock.

http://www.cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=jsr&cal=22-LR

Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

My first rifle was a henry .22 lever action from my dad, and I still love taking it out, also they look beutiful. Somthing nice to pass down.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If money is no option. I know exactly what 22lr I would buy...

Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle with a model 57 action chambered in 22lr. only $1755 with a AA+ Claro Walnut stock.

Cooper Firearms
Didn't Dan Cooper catch a ration for supporting the Obama Campaign?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."