Bought my first .22 today! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Bought my first .22 today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I always loved the 10/22, have one with a bsa 3-9x40 on it and can shoot the center out of dimes all day long and only misses come from my mistakes. Got a marlin 795 after hearing they are even better, well its not that they arent just as good of a shooting gun but throw in all the aftermarket products for the 10/22 and nothing beats it for sure.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #22

A 10-22 is not my first choice, but are darn nice rifles that can be made to shoot. Only problem is the amount of money it takes to make then really shoot small groups, too much in my opinion when I can get another rifle that will outshoot it for far less money.
Still, congrats on your new rifle.

A trigger job is a must. Get the shims that go on the pins also. There is so much slop in a stock 10-22 trigger group there is no way to get the sear and hammer to be even on the enguagement. I have had new one's in my shop where the sear was cocked sideways on the hammer due to the slop and locked up the trigger being pulled.
Next, get the bolt worked on, the face needs to be cut down for correct H.S and the FP should be pinned. The rear of the bolt gets rounded, helps with sub sonic ammo so it resets every time.
A bolt buffer is a great idea also as is a Volquartzen extractor, get one and you should never have extraction problems.

Get a good stock and aftermarket barrel and it will shoot pretty good.
There are some pretty good articals on pillar bedding the action also.

Do clean the whole rifle before shooting. I like to use a dry lube on the bolt and inside of the receiver as that way it does not collect all the junk from the fired rounds.

Enjoy your new rifle, just be careful, it's really easy to put a boatload of $$$ in it, just too many nice aftermarket parts available.

My Best, John K
Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sadly, I haven't had a chance to put any more rounds through my 10/22 so far this season. Massive snowfall made using dad's back yard impossible, and the blistering cold would force us inside after just a handful of rounds anyways.
I'm hoping for a couple extra factory mags from the wife for my birthday, though. I really like the factory 10-rounders. Easy as pie to load, and feed every time. Can't see spending the money for the 30-round aftermarket mags when the reliability is so spotty.
Hoping to join the local R&G in the spring, to have an actual range to fire at, and do some volunteer work for.