Bought my first .22 today! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Bought my first .22 today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

New rifles these days generally have a heavy preservative oil in them - CLEAN 'em out good, and oil lightly with your choice of a good gun lube. A 'dry lube' is even better.
Ruger 10-22's can always benefit from a decent polishing of the trigger and sear too. That heavy gritty 'lawyer trigger' irks me. Many replace the parts - not needed unless for competition.
My 10-22 is nine years old, with only a good polish job and the Gosh-aweful stock finish removed and refinished. Otherwise bone stock.....

Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #12

You will get the fever, and this could end up being only the first of several. I am up to seven, although I bought some already finished. Barrels, stocks, triggers, you are in trouble!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftyjuan View Post
You will get the fever, and this could end up being only the first of several. I am up to seven, although I bought some already finished. Barrels, stocks, triggers, you are in trouble!
It seems that the .22 has been fashioned into the gateway of guns. I, like most, get their first rifle (usually a .22) from the ole' man as gift, and it spins into a whole new dimension of firearm passion. Once that love gets it's hooks in you, you are hooked for life. Happy plinking and be safe.

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks, all.
I think this is indeed going to be my "gateway rifle." I was looking at an Arisaka Cavalry Carbine at the shop when I bought my Ruger, though the $1-per-round price tag of 6.5mm Japanese ammo is a bit much. A Ruger Ranch Rifle would cost more to buy, but less to feed!

Supposed to make a date with my dad to go shooting sometime soon.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any foray into the heady world of milsurps pretty much demands handloading! "Rolling your own" can pay for itself quickly, especially for weird stuff like Arisakas and Austro-Hungarian Steyrs.

I sued to buy nice old .22 rifles cheap, so have a pretty good collection going. Nowadays though, any rough and raggedy .22 rifle starts at $150 at the gun&pawn shops! Takes the fun out of it.....

Old 01-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Will likely do a lot of shooting with the iron sights before I bother with a scope.
You should investigate the Tech Sights if you really want to stick to irons. Especially if you end up doing something like an Appleseed shoot.

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Ask and ye shall receive...

Pretty basic. Will likely do a lot of shooting with the iron sights before I bother with a scope.
I have the exact same one, color and model Really fun little gun nice choice.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
You should investigate the Tech Sights if you really want to stick to irons. Especially if you end up doing something like an Appleseed shoot.

Ohhh, I like those! I saw a similar setup in this M1 tribute conversion kit...

M1 Carbine Ruger 10/22 Tribute - An M1 Carbine Replica Stock for the Ruger 10/22 with Sling, Oiler, and Military Style Sights

I really miss the dual-aperature peeps from my M16A2. these might be the perfect replacement!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post

+1 for the Tech-Sights. I have them on my Marlin 795 and love them. The factory irons really leave a lot to desire on most of the new .22 autoloaders (my 10/22 doesn't have factory Irons either)

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did a lot of shooting with my 10/22 with iron sights. I have had it for about 30 years. I finally got around to putting a scope on it last month!