Boresight a Ruger 10-22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Boresight a Ruger 10-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Boresight a Ruger 10-22

What is the best tool but cheap, for boresighting a Ruger 10-22? Laser, magnetic etc. Thanks Gunny

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gunny, how about stopping by the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself?

That being said, we have a green laser boresighter that you place into the end of the barrel. It is easy to use, will function will most calibers, and works very well, especially if you are trying to sight in with a red reticled sight.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Will do! Where do I get the laser? Thanks Gunny

Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

For the least expensive tool a collometer fits the bill. This is the one I use

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/tools-and-acessories/zero-point-magnetic-illuminated-broesighter/

For a laser boresighter, which a good one will be costly and a cheap one isn't worth a damn, I use a SiteLite SL500

http://www.sitelite-lasers.com/aboutus.php

Last edited by mrm14; 04-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is the one we have.

SCOPE ACCESORIES

HEAVY DUTY LASER BORESIGHTER

ITEM NO. EAGLE LB635 HEAVY DUTY BORESIGHTER COMPLETE WITH 4 DIFFERENT CALIBER INSERTS

FROM .22 TO 50 CALIBER AND COMPLETE 123 BATTERY GREEN VERY STRONG LASER YOU CAN BORE SIGHT

IN THE DAYTIME WITH THIS ONE YOUR COST $ 90.00 COMPLETE

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #6

I must add that all any of these boresighters will do is get you "on paper". You'll have to still adjust scope/sights to totally zero on target at the shooting range.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

I don't really like boresighters. If you can't get zeroed without using a boresighter, then you won't be able to zero for any other range other than what you're boresighted for. Save your money.

I'd learn how to zero your gun. What I do is zero for something close, like 50 feet, and then work my way out to my desired zero.

Just my 2¢

-Travis

Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Mihm View Post
I don't really like boresighters. If you can't get zeroed without using a boresighter, then you won't be able to zero for any other range other than what you're boresighted for. Save your money.
I don't understand. Once the rifle is zeroed in, whether you use a boresighter or not, it stays zeroed, provided you have a good base, rings, and a properly installed scope, regardless of where you take it after that. Am I missing something?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I don't understand. Once the rifle is zeroed in, whether you use a boresighter or not, it stays zeroed, provided you have a good base, rings, and a properly installed scope, regardless of where you take it after that. Am I missing something?
Well, to be totally honest, I'll have to say that my laser bore sighter has become more of a novelty item for me. However, I do use the little attachment to make a horizintal or verticle line on the little target that has a level on it that came with my boresighter in conjunction with that Level, Level, Level kit when I remove and replace the scopes on my rifles. Using it this way is just sort of a backup verification for my process of leveling my scopes. Even for that I dont really need it.

Now theres my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Well, to be totally honest, I'll have to say that my laser bore sighter has become more of a novelty item for me. However, I do use the little attachment to make a horizintal or verticle line on the little target that has a level on it that came with my boresighter in conjunction with that Level, Level, Level kit when I remove and replace the scopes on my rifles. Using it this way is just sort of a backup verification for my process of leveling my scopes. Even for that I dont really need it.

Now theres my 2 cents worth.
Actually, same here ...but that was not my question to the previous poster.

With my bolt actions, I'll just go the old-fashioned way of removing the bolt and sighting down the bore until I get on paper and that usually gets me on paper at fifty yards, and then I move the target out gradually.

At least with the cheap laser boresighter I have.....you can't see the darned laser dot past fifty yards......especially in daylight...and with my 12 year-old Lasik that seems to be wearing off!