Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Bolt Action 17HMR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/bolt-action-17hmr-36163/)

7point62 12-29-2010 03:31 PM

Bolt Action 17HMR

Any recommendations gentlemen?

Remington rimfires are out. The Ruger 77/17 is a bit pricey. I've added three firearms to my collection this past year and would like to keep it below $500. I'm thinking Savage 93R17XP...Marlin 917.

I'd like to try it hog and coyote hunting, I think it would be challenging to try for precise headshots with 17hmr.

jpattersonnh 12-29-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7point62 (Post 411167)
Any recommendations gentlemen?

Remington rimfires are out. The Ruger 77/17 is a bit pricey. I've added three firearms to my collection this past year and would like to keep it below $500. I'm thinking Savage 93R17XP...Marlin 917.

I'd like to try it hog and coyote hunting, I think it would be challenging to try for precise headshots with 17hmr.

The 917V is a good rifle, very accurate, decent trigger, excellent price. You could buy one and get some good glass for about $400.00.
As far as coyotes, Not a good idea.
Edit: MSRP is about $279.00, but you can usually order one from a local shop for much less if you know them. I'll add what I went through to get her to shoot well.
When I bought her I was impressed that the rifle came w/ mounts for standard rings. I mounted an old 6-24x40mmAO, bought some ammo, different brands and 17gr and 20gr weights. It would not shoot the 17's well at all. The scope was over powered for the rifle, so I put a Bushnell 4-16x42mmAO that I had returned for repairs to Bushnell on her. I was shooting only 20gr for a while, but still had 300+ rounds of 17gr. Took her out plinking one day and brought 2 boxes of 17's. They were shooting like lasers. It took 150..200 20gr to break the barrel in. It is not a micro groove barrel, none of the 917's are. Now at 100 yards, it will take the head off a chipmunk. They are about 4"-5" long w/ a 1" head. Sometimes they get cut in 1/2. I do know guys that use the .17HMR for coyotes, but I don't. Great on fox and weasels though. If you have a chicken farm nearby, that is where you find them.

trapshooter 12-29-2010 04:42 PM

I recently just got a Savage 93r17 and love it. A Savage could be out of your price range depending on how good your scope is.

northhike 12-29-2010 06:42 PM

I just got the Savage 93R17 with accu-trigger for Christmas. My wife picked it up at Gander for $279. Very sweet shooting gun. I also like the Marlin (I have the 982VS in a .22 mag).

Not sure why people keep saying the .17HMR is not a good coyotes round. :rolleyes: Its a deadly little round and there have been plenty of people who have put down coyotes with it. Is a .22mag better? Sure....a .223 is even better, but if you are a good shot (and the .17HMR is the most accurate rimfire round) then ye'Ole Wiley Coyote is in big trouble. :D

Just ask this Coyote:

cpttango30 12-29-2010 06:55 PM

How fast can you run and how fast can you climb a tree? Hope your not of the big boned verity.

I have seen hogs take a 45-70 405gr load to the boiler room and keep on coming.

jpattersonnh 12-29-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 411252)
I just got the Savage 93R17 with accu-trigger for Christmas. My wife picked it up at Gander for $279. Very sweet shooting gun. I also like the Marlin (I have the 982VS in a .22 mag).

Not sure why people keep saying the .17HMR is not a good coyotes round. :rolleyes: Its a deadly little round and there have been plenty of people who have put down coyotes with it. Is a .22mag better? Sure....a .223 is even better, but if you are a good shot (and the .17HMR is the most accurate rimfire round) then ye'Ole Wiley Coyote is in big trouble. :D

Seriously??? A 40gr CCI Maxi mag HP out of my A-bolt .22WMR is still more accurate at 100 yards then my .17HMR. What do you base this on? You can't say one round is the most accurate because someone like myself will come along and challenge you. Imagine I'm from Missouri, show me!!! Here in the Great White North, we have big coyotes. Beauty Ehh!
Bad Juju for yotes? That video is not an HMR.

northhike 12-29-2010 07:16 PM

One could say the same for your .22mag. ;) Kind of a catch 22....22mag that is. ;)

Of course there are many variables to accuracy such as the shooter, the gun design, the trigger and the bore, but the .17HMR round was designed to be an extreamly accurate and flat shooting rimfire round. Throw in the variables I mentioned above with some wind and things can change. Regardless....I am not going to change your mind. You from Missouri. :eek::D

7point62 12-29-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 411269)
How fast can you run and how fast can you climb a tree? Hope your not of the big boned verity.

I have seen hogs take a 45-70 405gr load to the boiler room and keep on coming.

:D Well Cpt, I normally shoot hogs with a 260gr core-locked CJHP sabot slug from a rifled 870 20ga...and I carry a back-up SA 1911 and a kabar...but I've also seen moderate size hogs taken with a 22Mag between the peepers. But that 17HMR MV and the flat trajectory makes me wonder if those little rounds could do some killing with precise placement. There's got to be a fair amount of penetration at 2550fps...

jpattersonnh 12-29-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 411292)
One could say the same for your .22mag. ;) Kind of a catch 22....22mag that is. ;)

Of course there are many variables to accuracy such as the shooter, the gun design, the trigger and the bore, but the .17HMR round was designed to be an extreamly accurate and flat shooting rimfire round. Throw in the variables I mentioned above with some wind and things can change. Regardless....I am not going to change your mind. You from Missouri.

I'm from NY originally!! ;) The newer .22WMR 30gr could be better, but they are loaded,crimped on the ogive which hinders accuracy. The platform has everything to do w/ accuracy. We agree to disagree!!

7.62, Here is a great article...
Compared: .17 HMR and .22 WMR (Magnum)
What I have found w/ the 17gr is they get zero penetration, but explode on impact. The 20gr do much better on Woodchucks, 20..25 pound vermin. Coyotes here can get up to 65 pounds. Average is 45 pounds. Even w/ a 20gr. penetration of the skull, unless it is in the ear or eye is still questionable. At 50 yards it will do the job, but so will a 12ga w/ #4 buck and they don't run. I hate to see any animal suffer and yotes will run.

c3shooter 12-29-2010 09:12 PM

I love my Savage 93- but I would NOT be taking it Hog hunting. Yes, it is a very fast, VERY light bullet- which does not translate into penetration.

Just is case- if anything goes badly.....
can I have your guns? :D