Bipod
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bipod

Hi people. I recently bought my first gun for vermin contol. Im using a 10 22 mainly for shooting rabbits and pidgeons. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a bipod or some shooting sticks. What would be most suitable? What do people prefer on here?

Im attracted to shooting sticks for the price difference but im not keen due to their size. If i go down the shooting sticks route ill probabley build my own following a good tutorial i found on youtube.

But if I do choose to buy a bipod is it totally nessesary that I buy a harris? I can appreciate buying a quality item now may well save me money in the future but surely there are alternatives for less than £100 of similar build quality which also offer the swivel and tilt features?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoatob
Hi people. I recently bought my first gun for vermin contol. Im using a 10 22 mainly for shooting rabbits and pidgeons. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a bipod or some shooting sticks. What would be most suitable? What do people prefer on here?

Im attracted to shooting sticks for the price difference but im not keen due to their size. If i go down the shooting sticks route ill probabley build my own following a good tutorial i found on youtube.

But if I do choose to buy a bipod is it totally nessesary that I buy a harris? I can appreciate buying a quality item now may well save me money in the future but surely there are alternatives for less than £100 of similar build quality which also offer the swivel and tilt features?
Shooting sticks allow you to shoot while standing, without having to go prone. This is really what I would base that decision on.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

You did not mention which stock you have. I have the standard synthetic stock carbines. You can get a barrel band with pica-tinny attachment points or you can go the cheap way as I did. I attached a Weaver scope base for an 870 shotgun to the bottom of the stock near the barrel band. This allows me to use inexpensive bipods available from UTG and others. It works very well. I do have a Harris on my Mini 30.

ruger-1.jpg   ruger-2.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That some ingenuity right there.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

I have the deluxe walnut blued sporter 10 22. The stock has a swivel stud. I believe this is the standard attachment for most bipods, correct me if im wrong.
Would you say your harris was a worthy investment compared to your other bipods?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

I think ill go with a bipod as to reduce my profile by shooting prone. Any opions on harris bipods vs others?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Ive just realised i should have posted this in the gear and accessories section. If you want to follow this thread i shall repost it in there this evening.