Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   bipod (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/bipod-26619/)

AKeeton 04-29-2010 09:37 PM

bipod

I'm thinking about getting a bipod for my ruger 10/22. If you already have one, how do you like it? Suggestions on a good manufacturer? I would like to keep my price around 30 to 40 bucks. I've only used the gun for some plinking but wouldnt mind squirrel hunting with it. how would a bipod work for something like that?

lonyaeger 04-29-2010 09:43 PM

Do you have sling swivel studs on your 10/22? I don't on mine, but didn't know if all 10/22s came without them.

AKeeton 04-29-2010 09:50 PM

not yet, the gun is actually about a month old. the only thing i have is a simmons scope on it.

lonyaeger 04-29-2010 10:46 PM

I doubt that you have them. In that case, you could use these:

Harris Adapter #4 Universal (BARREL CLAMP): Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

The only problem is that this adapter alone would wipe out most of your bipod budget. And, since it is made by Harris (probably the best known bipod maker), you might have to use only a Harris bipod with it, which would REALLY blow your budget! :eek:

You might consider shooting sticks. You should be able to find those by going to either Brownell's or Midway online and type shooting sticks into their search engines.

mrm14 04-29-2010 10:53 PM

Harris bi-pod is what I use. I have several of them. Get the one that swivels. Also if you dont want to clamp QD stud to barrel Uncle Mikes makes QD studs that you can thread into or bolt through forestock if your rifle has room under barrel. I perfer the ones that bolt through forestock.

riley 05-08-2010 04:22 AM

I have a Harris bipod, and a cheap Nc-star bipod that clamps onto any barrel, i bought the cheap one off of ebay, it works for bench shooting.

cpttango30 05-08-2010 02:09 PM

By clamping anything to the barrel you are going to affect accuracy. I try to avoid hanging crap off of barrels. They are not meant to be a cloths rack they are meant to be a barrel and shoot bullets through.

You would be better off buying a decent after market stock with studs installed. Then getting a good bipod. I have a rockmount and a harris the harris is much better it is well worth the extra money you pay in the long run.

lonyaeger 05-08-2010 02:20 PM

I just picked up a set of these at a gun show last weekend. Check out this demonstration video, they're pretty cool.

Gatekeeper 05-08-2010 04:07 PM

I've used harris with no problems.
I drilled and installed the swivel studs into my wood stocked 10/22.

TCH2FLY 05-08-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKeeton (Post 278099)
I'm thinking about getting a bipod for my ruger 10/22. If you already have one, how do you like it? Suggestions on a good manufacturer? I would like to keep my price around 30 to 40 bucks. I've only used the gun for some plinking but wouldnt mind squirrel hunting with it. how would a bipod work for something like that?

I have a $40 Walmart "Winchester" branded bipod on my 10/22 and it is fine for a low recoil rifle. If you don't have sling swivels while you are at Wallyworld you can get some, look for the model with a blind nut insert. Pull the action and drill a hole in the stock and drop it in ..you are set