Which is the better out-of-the-box shooter? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Which is the better out-of-the-box shooter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I was hitting a 5" square plate 10 out of 10 rapid fire with my dads 10/22 at 100 yards.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have the Ruger, the Henry, and the Remington. All are nice.

My very recoil sensitive wife claimed my 10/22 right after we got married. It's still her fav and while amost everything is "Ours" that is "HER 10/22!

It's decently accurate for most purposes and there are definately more things out there for modding.

For future modding, I'd say go with the Ruger.

That said, my Henry seems more accurate and it's got that lever-gun appeal that I like.

I bought my Remington 597 almost by accident. I had gun-buying fever and my local shop made me an offer I could not refuse (he does that a lot, telling me, "This ain't a collection, they are for SALE! If they sit on my shelf, I'm LOSING money!"). Anyway for a deal I almost felt guilty about ... almost ... I bought the 597, not knowing what to expect.

So far it's been totally reliable (two Failures to Fire that were purely the crap ammo I was using, but no jams). It has amazed me how accurate it is. I was surprised to hear others here had a much different experience. Well, I guess I got a good one. Me and all my kids are amazed at how accurate ours has been (my wife was even impressed, but sticks to HER 10/22. LOL).

Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #33

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I bought a REM 597 from a buddy that bought it new. I got it for $75 with a Tasco Varmint scope on it. Its pretty Nice! Shoots well and never had any problem out of it untill I put a remington thunder turd threw it. 2 shells out of the 10 round clip did not go off. I now only shoot Federal or CCI threw it and it works GREAT! I have a 10/22. Its a good gun as well never any problems out of it either. I have shot 1000s of bullets through bothand I like them both .

Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #34

I only have a Remington 597 in 22 Mag, and a Mossberg 702 Plinker for 22 LR.

Love the little 22 LR plinker. Love the quick handling and shoulder fit. Haven't really fired enough to really determing absolute accuracy. (I know - not on the list). Have killed a few snakes and a rabid racoon with it tho. It hit what I aimed at (tin cans mostly).

The 597 22 mag, well I had some issues with. Probably my fault, but somehow I accidently pulled the bolt handle completely out. The little retainer spring broke and I could not re-install the handle. Took it to local Gun Shop. They couldn't fix so they sent it to an authorized Remington repair shop. Three months later I got my rifle back. Altogether it cost me about $75 before it was all said and done. I like the rifle and have installed a good sling on it. I definately do not like the cheapo magazines tho. I bought an extra one. It is rough and binds too. What to do...

NRA Member

Old 10-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #35

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have had no trouble out of mine. I also have a 30round mag and if you put 30 in it the second shot jams but if you put 29 in it, It works perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYeager View Post
I only have a Remington 597 in 22 Mag, and a Mossberg 702 Plinker for 22 LR.

Love the little 22 LR plinker. Love the quick handling and shoulder fit. Haven't really fired enough to really determing absolute accuracy. (I know - not on the list). Have killed a few snakes and a rabid racoon with it tho. It hit what I aimed at (tin cans mostly).

The 597 22 mag, well I had some issues with. Probably my fault, but somehow I accidently pulled the bolt handle completely out. The little retainer spring broke and I could not re-install the handle. Took it to local Gun Shop. They couldn't fix so they sent it to an authorized Remington repair shop. Three months later I got my rifle back. Altogether it cost me about $75 before it was all said and done. I like the rifle and have installed a good sling on it. I definately do not like the cheapo magazines tho. I bought an extra one. It is rough and binds too. What to do...

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #36

30 round magazine sounds good, where can I find one of those in 22 magnum?

I have only fired this 597 Rem 22 magnum at the indoor gun range. Put one box thru it. Fired all rounds OK. I guess the jarring caused by the kickback jostles the magazine enough to set up the next round for pickup. But the magazine stickiness gives me unease anyway.

NRA Member