Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Which Is The Better Deal???? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/better-deal-10848/)

SGT-MILLER 02-13-2009 02:44 AM

Which Is The Better Deal????

Okay...

I have a choice between two .22LR rifles. Which one in y'alls opinions should I buy?

A Mossberg 702 Plinkster for 109.99 dollars, or a Savage bolt action (basic model with 10 round magazine) for 129.99 dollars? Both are blued with the black synthetic stocks, and iron sights.

Enlighten me, please!!!!!!!!

:)

dnthmn2004 02-13-2009 02:54 AM

I have a savage but in 17hmr. I love the bolt on it and the trigger is fantastic from factory IMO. Unfortunately, I have no experience with mossberg. Wait for stalking bear to come along, he seems to know the most about 22LRs around here.

big shrek 02-13-2009 06:53 AM

Mossberg has a good rep :)

The only Savage .22 I ever owned peeved me off so bad I'd be unlikely to purchase another.

Jdrawdy 02-13-2009 05:21 PM

I've had several savages over the years and they are hard to beat for the money. Have not had one of the mossbergs yet but if they are as rugged as most of there other guns they shouldnt be bad. The savage is very rugged i have put about ten thousand plus rounds through my savage auto and it still shoots just as good as the day i got it.

rugermike 02-13-2009 06:03 PM

???

If I have to choose between these 2 choices I would save my money and buy a good Ruger or Marlin! JMO

sgtdeath66 02-13-2009 06:09 PM

ive ot no experience point with either brand or rifles but, dont the savages have the accu- trigger in'em?

sgtdeath66 02-13-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugermike (Post 70829)
If I have to choose between these 2 choices I would save my money and buy a good Ruger or Marlin! JMO

id go with a marlin or a remington 597

SGT-MILLER 02-13-2009 10:10 PM

Got the Mossberg 702. It is built with a little better quality IMO. The Savage I was looking at was the basic Mark II model. It did not have the accu-trigger. Basically, it operated like a cheaper version of a Marlin.

The Mossberg I now own seems built "right and tight".

We'll see once I get it out to the range.

Txhillbilly 02-14-2009 03:30 PM

Sarge,Get the Savage with the Accu-trigger,not the one without it. There isn't a factory trigger on the market that compares to it. Other than the cheap stocks that come on most Savage rimfires,the gun is hard to beat. They are also as good/or better accuracy than any of your sub-$300 22 rifles,and with a decent stock they will shoot with the best of any rimfire this side of a match grade gun. There are many other brands that have a little better quality than the Savage,but they don't shoot any better or have the Accu-trigger.

Sorry Sarge,I don't guess I read your last post. Hope you enjoy the Mossy,and also hope it is a very good gun for you,I have never shot one so I wouldn't know. THB

big shrek 02-14-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 71152)
Sarge,Get the Savage with the Accu-trigger,not the one without it. There isn't a factory trigger on the market that compares to it. Other than the cheap stocks that come on most Savage rimfires,the gun is hard to beat. They are also as good/or better accuracy than any of your sub-$300 22 rifles,and with a decent stock they will shoot with the best of any rimfire this side of a match grade gun. There are many other brands that have a little better quality than the Savage,but they don't shoot any better or have the Accu-trigger.
THB

The new Marlins have the T-900 trigger group in them...and if you try one, and see how easy it is to deal with...you might change your mind about savage's Accu-trigger.

I wasn't gonna do that, but I saw RM posted a blurb on Marlins ;) Hard to beat now Marlin with the Micro-groove barrels & T-900 triggers. They are out-of-the-box accurate to a level which no one short of CZ can match now.