Best rounds for competitions. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Best rounds for competitions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I only shoot against myself but..
I've read and believe every Rimfire Rifle has its own preference of Ammo.
You need to try different types until you hit on the one that works best in that gun.

Here is a list of Brands, with Group Sizes, that was compiled and posted on another forum.
.22 Ammo Test

My 10/22 likes CCI Green Tag but in my CZ 452 Style, they are all over the place.
Just finshed 500 Rds of Wolf MT in the CZ and though they are Good, I still think it should be better.

I've had the CZ right at a month now. Tomorrow, I'm starting on my 3rd Brand of ammo, Aqila Golden Eagle Match Rifle.
I have two Shoe-boxes full of different ammo that I'll be trying.
I have an order for two more, Eley Match (Black Box) and Lapua Center-X, in route.

Also, I've been scanning and saving the Targets shot, so I can review them later.

Just keep shooting.
It took me a year and Thousands of rounds to find what didn't work in the 10/22.

The Groundhogs don't stand a chance...

Last edited by X-Raycer; 07-08-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

Default New to Benchrest Competition

My 1930 Winchester 52 shoots wolf mt best when its dirty! Clean the bore it takes about a 50 rounds before she starts shooting tacks again mite be because of her age don't know yet just how dirty I can let it before accuracy starts to fall off I haven't tried Eley, Lapua or RWS

Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #13

Default Rimfires are different . . .

A rimfire needs lubricant in the barrel to show its best accuracy. The lub on most rimfire bullets is formula that has beeswax in it. When you clean your barrel, the wax in removed. Your first shot from a clean barrel will apply that lubricant to the first few inches of the bore. A second shot will get the lub a little further up the bore. It may take from 5 to 15 or more rounds to get that beeswax lubricant coated the full length of the bore.

The bore needs to be cleaned when the accuracy falls off. Most of the rimfire BR shooters seem to think you can expect about 300 rounds of accurate shooting. Then you should clean the barrel, and just accept the fact that you must relubricate that barrel with several shot.

A deposit of a mixture of lead & fowling will build up just ahead of the chamber at 6 o'clock. You sometimes can get extra rounds of accurate shooting by cleaning the chamber with a wire brush or lead solvent: And: Leaving the lubricant alone in the barrel. Eventually we gotta clean those barrels. And, relub them.

What's different about centerfire barrels? A match grade 6mm PPC barrel is shot out and it's superior accuracy is gone after about 1500 rounds.

Our rimfires will keep there accuracy for more years than most of us will live.

Joe Haller (Mr. Frosty)