Best rounds for competitions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Best rounds for competitions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best rounds for competitions.

Used CCI standards in a comp at the weekend and they we're stinking!
Anyone got any tips?
New to this game,
Using an CZ BRNO 452 if that makes any difference...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2393 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Fonze,

I always used Federal Hi-Power 22 cal ammunition for my competition. They shot very well and very accurate in the Thompson Contender 10" Barreled Pistol. It was while competing in Metal Silhouette competition. In fact I shot Indiana's second perfect score. The targets involved the Chickens Pigs, Rams and so forth. The course was shot from 25 yards and the Rams at 100 Yards. You might try some of those! They are a jacketed round so they also load very well and for me have always shot accurately.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For pure accuracy I always relied on RWS R50 or Eley Benchrest Gold.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Fonze,

I always used Federal Hi-Power 22 cal ammunition for my competition. They shot very well and very accurate in the Thompson Contender 10" Barreled Pistol. It was while competing in Metal Silhouette competition. In fact I shot Indiana's second perfect score. The targets involved the Chickens Pigs, Rams and so forth. The course was shot from 25 yards and the Rams at 100 Yards. You might try some of those! They are a jacketed round so they also load very well and for me have always shot accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
For pure accuracy I always relied on RWS R50 or Eley Benchrest Gold.
thanks lads, them CCI's were shocking the other day, from bullseye to 0 points in one shot.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

We can recemend ammo all day, but in the end, it is the ammo that best works in your particular rifle. Try several and use the most accurate and reliable in your rifle.

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #6

Default From personal experience . . .

In Benchrest competition, the most serious shooters use Eley Black Box. The Eley Red Box is more expensive and not used as much. Eley tests their match grade ammo in Anschutz rifles. The most accurate goes into the Red boxes. The "Not-Quite-So-Accurate" goes in Black boxes. We shoot different lots of Black Box, until we find a good one. When we shot that all up, we start looking for another good lot.

Ranking in accuracy behind Black box is: Blue Box, then Orange Box and Yellow box. They use to have Brown and White in that order at the bottom. Don't see much of that any more. Eley Sport in Purple Boxes is made in Mexico, using the patented Eley priming system. The members of our club found it does not shoot very well.

Lapua Center X is comparable in price and accuracy to Black Box, but is not winning as many matches as Black Box. Lapua Midas Plus is comparable in price to Ely Red Box as is RWS R-50. But, not many shooters use that more expensive stuff. They test different lot of Black Box or Lapua Center X until they find one that works best in there rifle.

I think most competitive benchrest shooters would agree that Wolf Match Target and SK Rifle Match are the next best in accuracy, for a price just a little more than half the cost of Eley Black Box.

Of course a BIG part of rimfire accuracy is "What the rifle likes".

Joe Haller (Mr. Frosty)

Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A friend of mine has a son that shoots competition with an Anshutz and he won't use anything but Wolf.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my Savage Mark II RWS 50 shot the best but at just under $10.00 a box of 50 I went with my second choice which was Federal Auto Match. With the auto match i was able to keep the groups at 1/2 inch to 3/8 at fifty yards.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #9

Default The price and weight of ammo.

I bought a couple of boxes of RWS R-50 about 12 years ago. The price per 50 was about $7.00 at that time. Now Champion Shooters Supply sells them for $15.50. Eley Red Box is now $19.00 per box and Eley Black Box is $13.00. That cheap Mexican Eley Sport sells for $3.00.

Back to the R-50: When I bought those two boxes, I was into checking the cartridge weight of different brands of .22 ammo. The weight spread of Eley Black Box and Red Box was about 8/10th of a grain from the lightest to the heaviest. Some lots of Wolf Match Extra were the same and none over 1.2 grains.

When I checked that RWS, the spread was 2.5 grains. How could this be? I figured someone must have bought several bricks of the stuff and maybe from different lots. They weight sorted it, put the culls back in those two boxes and gave them back to the dealer.

I never bother to test that ammo for accuracy, and have never bought any R-50 since. I'm sure it will shoot well in some rifles. Before I buy any again, I'll make sure it is still in the shrink wrap.

Joe

Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haller View Post
Hey Joe, welcome to FTF!
Recognize you from over at RFC (I read much more than post)
Glad to see you've brought your rimfire experience and knowledge here to FTF.
Swing by the Introductions Section when you get a chance so the rest of the forum can say "Hi"

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down