Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Best Rimfire shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Went shooting with a friend from Utah last summer, and he brought his Marlin bolt action 22. We spent the day shooting at progressively smaller targets, but my favorite was cutting a matchstick in half at 35 yards free standing with no rest! We also sacrificed an Old Mil light to .22 buckshot... awesome.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #32

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

I shoT a robin IN THE HEAD at a 104 yards today from a rest with my savage markII

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #33
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
I shoT a robin IN THE HEAD at a 104 yards today from a rest with my savage markII
When is robin hunting season?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post

When is robin hunting season?
.......they bug my friend cuzz they fly into his roof.....but I did cook the breast up and it was pretty good

Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8052 Times on 4647 Posts
Likes Given: 10393

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
.......they bug my friend cuzz they fly into his roof...
Your friend has bats in his belfry.

Quote:
..but I did cook the breast up and it was pretty good
At least you didn't just shoot it and leave it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Your friend has bats in his belfry.

At least you didn't just shoot it and leave it.
I don't believe in killing just for fun. I try to use the most of the animal as I can.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #37

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Deleted by me because it didn't make sense.

-Matt

Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8617 Times on 3734 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Well, topic WAS best RIMFIRE shots, so I would offer 2.

Savage 93 heavy barrel in .17 HMR. On the 100 yd line at my range. Slow afternoon- other shooters are mainly running 6mm benchrest guns.

Most of them are pretty cool folks- but was was a royal PITA. Kept referring to the .17 HMR as a "toy", advice to get a REAL rifle, etc. Until we walked downrange to get targets.

Had been a perfect afternoon- winds were steady 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, light was excellent. Mr. Helpful just had to come over and snoop at my target as I pulled them. 4 ea 5 shot groups. 2 of the 4 had touching holes. The other 2 were just a hair bigger, but around .32 inches.

His mouth fell open. Concealing my glee, calmly said "Shoots pretty well for a toy. How'd you do?"

Episode #2- 20+ yrs ago, youngest son (age 12) and I had taken a few days in the mountains of SW VA, deer hunting. We had not seen anything that morning- had returned to cabin for lunch, and decided to walk up to road to the top of the knob, and glass the valley for anything moving.

Walking out to the road, we flushed a grouse from the side of the driveway. Carrying a Ruger Standard 22LR. Bird was about 25 feet up, I drew, fired 1 shot, bird hit the ground deader than a doornail, within inches of his takeoff point. Shot thru the head.

Son standing about 10 ft away, looking at me in wonder. "Hey pop- that was REALLY good!" Me- dead calm voice "Hang on son, let's see if there is another one in there."

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I don't often speak of this, as it was kinda dumb on my part. However, many many years ago I had a little Jack Russell that lived in the backyard. (he was way to hyper for indoors with 2 small children) Anyway, late one night he started barking and wouldn't shutup. I went down to see what the ruckus was, and there was an owl swooping down trying to grab his ass. It landed on my fence, and I had my Walther P22 in hand. I didn't want to shoot it, and after a second it flew off and I thought well that's that he's gone. Well, not so much. He came right back and caught the dog on the back but dropped him. Dog's bleeding, barking and wailing, still trying to get at the friggin owl. It's dark, I can't see him flying, my neighborhood is still in it's infancy so there aren't all that many people living here at that point. The owl flys off about 100 yards and lands on the peak of a house across the street. There's a street light over there and I can see him. I, in my younger age of stupidity, decide that I'll take a shot. (dumb, dumb, dumb I know) One shot, like I said about 100 yards from my back porch across the street on the neighbors roof and I'll be damned if I didn't hit that SOB and he tumbled down off the roof into that womans yard. At that point, I came to the realization I'd just done a nono and discharged a weapon in a place I shouldn't have so I packed it away and went back to bed. I don't think anyone ever called the fuzz, but dam sure that next morning there was a dead owl in her front yard. So, at roughly 100 yards in the dark shooting to an elevation of about 3 stories I knocked an owl off a roof with my P22 in a single shot.

Not even a month later, the dam dog bit someone and animal control screwed up the paperwork during the required quarantine and executed him. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I won't even go into what happened then though....

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #40

I hit the bottom of a blue solo cup @ exactly 185 yards with my savage mark II btvs 4 times in a row using a bdc reticle that's zeroed at 50