best plinker for the money - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > best plinker for the money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #51
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68

The reason Marlin has sold so many more than Ruger is because they are cheap guns. Honestly, the only gun worse than a model 60 is the 702 Plinkster. If you think a 10/22 wont shoot well out of the box you haven't shot a 10/22 or you cant shoot. I would put either one of my 10/22's up against a stock Marlin 60. I have 2 10/22's, Henry 22, Remington 510, Remington 512, Pink Crickett, and a Savage MKII and with some rounds down range to figure out the sights any 22 Ive ever seen is more accurate than the shooter
Disagree on the 702 comments. Mine shot very well out of the box, or i would have killed the experiment before it went above the cost of the Gun... I'm adding an optic for beyond 25 yds. and just got a sling with Hardware & 2 25 rd mags in the mail today....
Gave my 10/22 to the better half because the stock on that can be retracted(old ATI collapsible) and she is "vertically challenged"

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-26-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #52

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Ive got a 702 but its on loan. I never claimed it was inaccurate. Quite the opposite actually. Mine was very accurate and continues to be but the rifle is $100 for a reason.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68
Ive got a 702 but its on loan. I never claimed it was inaccurate. Quite the opposite actually. Mine was very accurate and continues to be but the rifle is $100 for a reason.
quick

And that reason simply is that almost no one is making aftermarket items for it. What IS out there I'm already planning on buying or have bought. If you hear of any quick detachable magnetic scope mounts please let me know. I'd like to switch between a regular scope and an enhanced optical sight. Went out to the backside of the mountain tonight and loaded one of the new 25 rd mags from CDNN. Works flawlessly, and inserts and ejects cleanly,...even cleaner then the orig. factory mag it came with!!!
When and if I do get another 10/22 it will be .22Mag. Or poss. .17HMR...
Wife already wants more then 25 or 50 rds. So she might get something with a 100 rd drum,..although I hear a 100 rd drum for the 10/22 is in the works...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #54

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
The reason Marlin has sold so many more than Ruger is because they are cheap guns. Honestly, the only gun worse than a model 60 is the 702 Plinkster. If you think a 10/22 wont shoot well out of the box you haven't shot a 10/22 or you cant shoot. I would put either one of my 10/22's up against a stock Marlin 60. I have 2 10/22's, Henry 22, Remington 510, Remington 512, Pink Crickett, and a Savage MKII and with some rounds down range to figure out the sights any 22 Ive ever seen is more accurate than the shooter

Not True! The Ruger and Marlin were on par for the 1st 20 years. The 60 came out in 1960, the 10/22 in 1962. In the 1980's there was an influx of aftermarket parts that came out for the Ruger, and companies started making rifles based on the action, which is a VG action. The only company that did not take notes on what was happening was Ruger. They did start charging more as the market took interest, but did nothing to increase quality or accuracy as they were making more $$$. When you have people spending $400.00-$800.00 to make it more accrate, why address the issues that exist.
They are 2 very different concepts on a base rifle. The Micro groove did come out to reduce production costs in the Marlin. It is an inexpensive rifle that performs well. I am not a big fan of the block sights that came on my Marlin back in the early '90's, but once scoped it is very accurate.
I have a buddy that jumped on the 10/22 bandwagon. He already owned a Winchester 190. He was so dissapointed at the accuracy of the 10/22, he called me up to help. He scoped it and put a pink stock on it for his girlfreind. The love affair w/ the 10/22 never made it past the 1st range session.
To each his own I guess.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #55

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3
I was looking for a used 10/22 at the gun show and couldn't find one under $275. One guy had a used, beat-up model for $450! People have truly lost their minds.
That's totally insane. Even if your FLGS is gouging, too, can find NEW 10/22s for less than $250 online.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

Not True! The Ruger and Marlin were on par for the 1st 20 years. The 60 came out in 1960, the 10/22 in 1962. In the 1980's there was an influx of aftermarket parts that came out for the Ruger, and companies started making rifles based on the action, which is a VG action. The only company that did not take notes on what was happening was Ruger. They did start charging more as the market took interest, but did nothing to increase quality or accuracy as they were making more $$$. When you have people spending $400.00-$800.00 to make it more accrate, why address the issues that exist.
They are 2 very different concepts on a base rifle. The Micro groove did come out to reduce production costs in the Marlin. It is an inexpensive rifle that performs well. I am not a big fan of the block sights that came on my Marlin back in the early '90's, but once scoped it is very accurate.
I have a buddy that jumped on the 10/22 bandwagon. He already owned a Winchester 190. He was so dissapointed at the accuracy of the 10/22, he called me up to help. He scoped it and put a pink stock on it for his girlfreind. The love affair w/ the 10/22 never made it past the 1st range session.
To each his own I guess.
I remember My Uncle's store selling plenty of both Guns in the 1970's,..one summer(I "worked" there when i wasn't in Camp for $5 a day) one weekend he must have sold a dozen 10/22's and another 5 or 6 60's, plus at least 2 of the Browning's as well.
My focus back then was just to behave well enough that eventually I'd get a .22 Pistol of my own. I think I was 11, and the next summer I got my 20Ga. 870...

Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #57

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
That's totally insane. Even if your FLGS is gouging, too, can find NEW 10/22s for less than $250 online.
Makes me feel alittle better for paying 375.00 out the door for my takedown. Although it is a davidsons ruger so if it ever fails I can just go trade it in at any davidsons distributor. But was still more than I wanted to pay. In hind sight it was 375 well spent.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 07-27-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben

For a year there were none around new in any local big box or LGS and Ruger is local to us!!
Finally ( I'm waiting just to get two used cheap ones right now because the Gatling gun project is gonna run about 4 bills...) U can get them for under $300 new if you look. Also the folks. Selling used ones are realizing they can't gouge folks much longer so they are throwing stuff in with the gun...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-27-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #59

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
To each his own I guess.

Not true. I have two Ruger 10/22's. One I bought in 1989 and one I bought in 2010. Both rifles are pretty much equal in accuracy which is very good. With quality ammunition they shoot even better. I have relatives and friends that own 10/22's and none of them are inaccurate like some folks claim. I don't have a problem with Marlin 60's. They are good rifles. Im just of the opinion that Ruger makes a better rifle. Not really worth arguing about in my opinion. Whatever your personal preference is enjoy shooting your rifle.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #60

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Not true. I have two Ruger 10/22's. One I bought in 1989 and one I bought in 2010. Both rifles are pretty much equal in accuracy which is very good. With quality ammunition they shoot even better. I have relatives and friends that own 10/22's and none of them are inaccurate like some folks claim. I don't have a problem with Marlin 60's. They are good rifles. Im just of the opinion that Ruger makes a better rifle. Not really worth arguing about in my opinion. Whatever your personal preference is enjoy shooting your rifle.
I was just stating 1st hand experience, as I said, to each his own. You did call the Marlin a cheap rifle, only 1 rifle worse, that is the issue I have with your statement.

"The reason Marlin has sold so many more than Ruger is because they are cheap guns. Honestly, the only gun worse than a model 60 is the 702 Plinkster. If you think a 10/22 wont shoot well out of the box you haven't shot a 10/22 or you cant shoot. I would put either one of my 10/22's up against a stock Marlin 60."

You basicly call the Model 60 a POS, Now you say you have no issue with it. What gives??
The OP was looking for "The best plinker for the Money" Since the ruger is almost double the cost it does not fit the criteria.

Both rifles from an online site.
Marlin $175.00
Ruger $319.00 Reg price
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Ruger-10/22-Tactical-Rimfire-Rifle&i=719473&aID=510E4B&merchID=4006
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Ruger-10/22-Tactical-Rimfire-Rifle&i=719473&aID=510E4B&merchID=4006

The Ruger comes w/ a fantastic plastic stock, not wood. $144.00 can buy lots of ammo and a scope.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This